PDA

View Full Version : Court Wire?

surfergirl
13-03-2014, 09:09 AM
I’ve had a commission for a pair of wedding rings and I’m wondering about court shaped wire. Having never done wedding rings, I had in my mind that court shaped rings were made with oval wire, but looking closer at the court wedding rings blanks they have a slightly different profile. I can’t find this shaped wire on Cookie or Argex. Do I just file oval wire? Thanks :)

Dennis
13-03-2014, 11:00 AM
No, there's none offered by the usual suspects, although someone here might know of a supplier. That said, why not use oval wire? The difference is so subtle that no one will argue about it.

Alternatively you could use over sized D shaped wire and once made up, gently rub the edges on flat sandpaper and then subtly file the inside edge.

Lastly you could buy ready mades as in the new Cookson catalogue, pages 72-73. They offer traditional court wedding rings in three weights and different metals. The benefit is that you can save work and they are seamless. Dennis.

surfergirl
13-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Thank you, Dennis. If they go for court-shaped I think I'll go for the oval wire.

Would still be interested if there are any UK suppliers of court-shaped wire, too but there must be a reason why the go-to suppliers don't stock it. Maybe because most jeweller's would shape either the D or oval ones as you suggest?

medusa
13-03-2014, 06:43 PM
having shaped oval and reverse D wire into rings, I have to say it is a flipping nightmare getting it lined up straight. the air turns blue!

Tabby66
13-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Think I'd file and shape D wire, or roll oval a little and blend the flat you create in to an overall 'flatter' oval......if that makes sense??