PDA

View Full Version : Holding jump rings to file a flat for soldering

Goldsmith
09-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Here is a simple tip to help file a flat edge on a jump before soldering onto anything. When I want hold jump rings for filing flats I use a pair of Maun Parallel flat pliers and I use a 6 inch fine cut flat file for filing the flat on the ring. The grips on the Maun parallel flat pliers are hardened steel, so you can use the square ends as a guide to file a good flat on a jump ring without harming the pliers, although in time the file will get blunt, which is why I have an old fine file put aside for this purpose.

James

Dennis
09-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Thank you James. I have written up some tips for posting next week but more of yours would be welcome, so: more tips please. Dennis.

Patstone
10-03-2014, 06:03 AM
I put mine in a vice, the biggest problem I have when filing anything is filing it straight, it seems to go off on a wonk, and it doesnt matter how carefully I do it either, I can see if its not straight, but for some reason dont seem to be able to file it square. Like I have mentioned before my sawing is the same, I can draw a straight line on something but cutting it on the line is another thing. James, I will try this way as it looks as if it could work for me better. Thanks for all your tips, keep them coming.

Dennis
10-03-2014, 10:22 AM
As someone who has difficulty in filing straight, due to lack of at the bench tuition, I have developed two strategies;

For pieces longer than the width of the file, rub cross wise, or at least obliquely, on a diamond coated plate.

For narrow strips, put them just overhanging the bench peg, hold a flat file by the wrong end and pull downwards against the metal. Dennis.

mizgeorge
10-03-2014, 11:20 AM
I find the easiest way to put a straight edge on a closed jump ring is with a good pair of ultra flush cutters (lindstrom or tronex). Works perfectly on anything up to about 1.6mm wire.

Petal
11-03-2014, 08:59 AM
That's a very useful tip, thanks for posting James.

Looking forward to seeing what you post next week Dennis.