PDA

View Full Version : Delft Clay - Moulds

Nick martin
08-03-2014, 10:10 PM
I tend to use a mix of cuttlefish and delft clay for my casting, and usually it suits me just fine.

However lately I've been searching for different sized moulds for the delft clay, as opposed to the 50mm & 100mm aluminium rings that are commonly used.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of box shaped containers for instance, or should I be looking at making my own somehow?

I find the 50mm rings too small sometimes for my ideas, and Im loathed to spend the money on the larger ones as I think they're overpriced, so all ideas welcome please.

Cheers,

Nick

josef1
08-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Maybe you could get a second hand split vulcanising frame mould and use that ?

mizgeorge
09-03-2014, 01:32 AM
This might help?

http://www.larsandingrid.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5420-Delft-Moulding-Box&highlight=clay

Nick martin
09-03-2014, 06:57 PM
That's brilliant.. Thanks for the link. Precisely what I'm looking for!

Nick

Ebo Von Gaz
11-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Hi, I made my own from a piece of box section pipe.
I cut three "rings" from the pipe,

cut one ring into quarters and welded the quarters to the other two sections to make lugs,

tapped a 6mm threaded hole through the lugs and

used barrel nuts on 6mm bolts to hold the whole assembly together yet be easy to dismantle.

It's not pretty but it works.

Oh and I then assembled the whole thing and step drilled a hole through the side (between the two halves) so it can be used for top and side casting.

metalsmith
12-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Hi, I made my own from a piece of box section pipe.
I cut three "rings" from the pipe,

cut one ring into quarters and welded the quarters to the other two sections to make lugs,

tapped a 6mm threaded hole through the lugs and

used barrel nuts on 6mm bolts to hold the whole assembly together yet be easy to dismantle.

It's not pretty but it works.

Oh and I then assembled the whole thing and step drilled a hole through the side (between the two halves) so it can be used for top and side casting.

Sounds good - do you have a picture? Thanks

Nick martin
13-03-2014, 08:59 AM
I'd love to see photos of that setup too Ebo, if at all possible?

Cheers,

Nick

Ebo Von Gaz
14-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Gah, sorry, I've been busy with coppicing, kids and casting. Yes certainly, I'll get some photos up today.

Ebo Von Gaz
14-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Here you go

Ebo Von Gaz
14-03-2014, 03:04 PM
The attached thumbnail shows the barrel nuts, like wing nuts but a lot chunkier, i found them really easy to do up and undo.

The top hole was done to my largest drill bit- 12mm, and then filled larger with a round file. I I think drilling it out to 15mm initially would have been better as it can be a little hit and miss.

If I made it again I might not tap a thread between the lugs or only on one side, as the nuts hold it all together, and I'd make it all fit more neatly together, it needed a bit of filling and swearing to get it flush but that's more my lack of experience than anything else.

Using a round hammer to pack sand into a square shape means you have to pay a little extra attention to the corners, but as long as there is excess sand to pack in before striking off its not as much of a problem as you would think.

Binraker
20-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I made myself a couple of casting flasks from plywood

I just ran some scrap ply through the band saw to get 2 strips the same width then then cut 4 ends and 4 sides, cut out a pouring basin hole with a coping saw and glued and tacked them together. The alignment lugs are then just further offcuts glued on.

surfergirl
21-03-2014, 05:35 PM
I made myself a couple of casting flasks from plywood

Oohh…wooden ones :D Can't see the images, though. Is it just me?

Binraker
24-03-2014, 05:55 PM
hmm strange, lets try that again