PDA

View Full Version : How to make things shiny....

tricitybendix
05-03-2014, 08:10 PM
without the use of any complicated/ expensive equipment.

When I am in the studio I use the barrel polisher thing(?) but is there anything I can use for when I can't get to the studio?

Does this make sense? Sorry for sounding so dense, everything is looking very dull and I need an affordable polisher!

Thanks!

tricitybendix
05-03-2014, 08:20 PM
OR should I jut bite the bullet and buy this http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/3lb-Metal-Barrelling-Machine-prcode-999-6005#product-description

urgh, such an expensive hobby....

Michael_D
05-03-2014, 08:58 PM
I use a dremel and scotch mops... Work a treat for me and a the dremel can be used for a lot more .... About £50... Kits available too, Amazon eBay and of course Cookson Gold 😄👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis
05-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Hi, before buying a tumbler, please put 'barreling tumbler' into our search box top right and read some of the threads. There are several issues you need to know about. For instance a tumbler with plain plastic lids is very difficult to close successfully, because of the air trapped inside. It is even more difficult to open again, without bending back your fingernails.

Then There is the problem of shot and which soap. Here is one of the many threads:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3772&highlight=barreling+tumbler Dennis.

mizgeorge
05-03-2014, 10:30 PM
you can get a long way with a set of micromesh cloths. Less than a tenner and last for a very, very long time.

MMM Jewellery
06-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi
If I am out and about I use a rag with some rouge or tripoli on it and lots of elbow grease (some baby oil helps the polish to spread). You can also buy or make leather buff sticks and use them with your polishing compound. Likewise for tight corners you can try thrumming- which is the use of string loaded with polish and then held taut along which you rub your piece (be careful not to rub in a groove tho). All these should be cheap and easy to do anywhere. Cookson sell the requisite supplies if needed.
Cheers Matt

tricitybendix
10-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Thankyou everyone for you advice. I have ordered some micromesh cloths and am eyeing up dremmels on Amazon.

theresa
10-03-2014, 11:04 PM
I also bought a set of micromesh cloths on Ebay and love the finish they give. Also means I can listen to music while polishing....

tricitybendix
18-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Ooh I bought some micromesh cloths and they are GREAT! though they do make my arm ache, and they smell bizarrely of tomatoes!

Thanks for all your recommendations everyone, most helpful.

ShinyLauren
18-03-2014, 07:59 PM
I've never noticed a tomato smell - need to go upstairs and sniff mine now!