PDA

View Full Version : setting a facet in a bezel setting

Summer
05-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi guys and ladies :-)
I have done my first ever setting a facet into a bezel, all seems to have gone ok but how do I know its in securely, I've turned it upside down and knocked the bottom and it's not fallen out lol. Thanks

surfergirl
05-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Well done, Summer on completing your first facet-into-a-bezel setting! For open backs, I generally use a toothpick and apply a bit of pressure from behind to make sure a stone is secure.

Dennis
05-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Try to extract it with a bit of fresh BluTack, or some sticky tape. This one looks as if it is well in. A shiny burnisher used over and over with medium pressure would get it smoother though.
Congratulations on your first tube setting. Dennis.

Tabby66
05-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Looks like you have a reasonable amount of metal over the stone to keep it in place Summer, a little pressure on the back of the stone will soon et you know if there is any movement or if it is going to pop out!!

Well done ;)

Gemsetterchris
06-03-2014, 04:55 AM
Dennis' method is best.
Congrats on your first try, now you can set the stones It's time to focus on the details.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Summer
06-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your reply's and comments, I can go get it finished now x

Sufergirl :-) Thanks, its not got an open back, I was wondering whether it would have been better to have done that, as more light would have shone through wouldn't it, bit late now though, but think i will do it that way next time.

Dennis :-) thanks yes i will try that with the tape and bluetack, once i know it's in ok i will concentrate on the burnishing, I just didn't want to over work the silver if it wasn't in securely. Does look a mess on that photo doesn't it lol

Thank you Tabby66 and GemsetterChris :-)

Summer
06-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Back again, I tried both the BlueTack and tape method and i'm happy to say it stayed firmly put, thanks for that :Y:

I could do with an easier method for burnishing though as my poor wristies can't cope with it, so if you have any good advice it will be greatly appreciated, I've not a lot of muscle between thumb n finger) lost a lot last year due to Carpol tunnel, had double op on elbow n wrist which worked great but still not much gripping power, other wrist going same way, so could do with something that will make things like burnishing easier :-)
Here is the piece now

Aurarius
06-03-2014, 01:09 PM
It looks like the burnishing was worth the effort; it's transformed it. I don't know a lot about burnishing as I'm a novice, but maybe a burnisher with a tighter curve to it would enable you to exert the same pressure with less effort. The experienced will no doubt have better advice to give.

caroleallen
06-03-2014, 01:46 PM
I find this quite useful http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Busch-Large-Carbide-Burnisher------Starlight-Polisher-prcode-999-BSC

theresa
06-03-2014, 03:24 PM
It's relatively easy to make one from a broken burr.
Good lesson on Ganoskin.
When I find the link, i'll post it.
Forgot to say well done!

surfergirl
06-03-2014, 06:58 PM
A great result, Summer. You've finished it up a treat.

Summer
06-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Caroleallen, Thank you for the link, i've checked it out and made a note of it :-)

Theresa, thank you I went on their site and watched loads of videos, some very interesting things on there, also found the one you were referring to, I've also bookmarked it so I know exactly where to return and see more :-) :Y:

Surfergirl Thank you so much :-)

Patstone
08-03-2014, 09:06 AM
I have been looking and cant find it, can you post a link to me please. Thanks in advance.

Caroleallen, Thank you for the link, i've checked it out and made a note of it :-)

Theresa, thank you I went on their site and watched loads of videos, some very interesting things on there, also found the one you were referring to, I've also bookmarked it so I know exactly where to return and see more :-) :Y:

Surfergirl Thank you so much :-)

Summer
08-03-2014, 03:02 PM
I have been looking and cant find it, can you post a link to me please. Thanks in advance.

Hi patstone, here is the one http://www.ganoksin.com/benchtube/video/723/A-Modified-Tool-to-Bezel-Set-Round-Faceted-Stones :-)

Summer
08-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Hi patsone here is the link http://www.ganoksin.com/benchtube/video/723/A-Modified-Tool-to-Bezel-Set-Round-Faceted-Stones :-)

JonLendrum
08-03-2014, 06:33 PM
For a first setting that looks amazing! Wish i could finish my settings that neatly, how do you get a smooth even finish on the inside wall of the bezel? I always end up having quite a sharp and uneven finish, your looks lovely and curved well done,

Dennis
08-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Back again, I tried both the BlueTack and tape method and i'm happy to say it stayed firmly put, thanks for that :Y:

I could do with an easier method for burnishing though as my poor wristies can't cope with it, so if you have any good advice it will be greatly appreciated, I've not a lot of muscle between thumb n finger) lost a lot last year due to Carpol tunnel, had double op on elbow n wrist which worked great but still not much gripping power, other wrist going same way, so could do with something that will make things like burnishing easier :-)
Here is the piece now

It looks as if you've been doing it for years now, Summer. Dennis.

Dennis
08-03-2014, 10:24 PM
For a first setting that looks amazing! Wish i could finish my settings that neatly, how do you get a smooth even finish on the inside wall of the bezel? I always end up having quite a sharp and uneven finish, your looks lovely and curved well done,

I would say:

Finish the edge perfectly before pushing it down.
Once down, run around the inner edge with a tiny round ended burnisher ( made from a broken burr and held in a pin vice).
If you see a tiny snag, correct it with a graver, such as a spit stick. If you don't have a graver, a sharp pointy craft knife will serve.

Dennis.

Patstone
09-03-2014, 06:14 AM
The video that Summer posted isnt the one on making the burnisher, which is the one I am interested in, on Cookies they are £28 which seems a lot of money for what it is. I have made a pointed burnisher, but thought the video was like the one Carole was showing.

It's relatively easy to make one from a broken burr.
Good lesson on Ganoskin.
When I find the link, i'll post it.
Forgot to say well done!

Gemsetterchris
09-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Just make one for free yourself..Any shape or size, in fact a selection is good.
All you need is some rubber or diamond wheels.
Thing is, even if you buy one you will be constantly needing to re-polish it.
It's not a case of make or buy - that's it.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Summer
09-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Patstone so sorry here is the one, http://www.ganoksin.com/benchtube/video/599/Transform-an-Old-Burr-into-a-New-Burnisher.

JonLendrum, thanks, I sand the bezel with 1500 grit sandpaper before i solder it in place, that way there is less tidying up to do afterwords, once down i use the pointed end of the burnisher to clean round the inside edge, its the actual burnishing i find difficult lol.

Dennis Thank you :-)

Hi Gemsetterchris :-)