PDA

View Full Version : Lengths of necklaces short vs long?

Petal
25-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi All, :~:

I'm currently making lots of things for an up-coming fair, but Barbara's question got me thinking?

Hi - It's me again with another bizarre question!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just putting together another chain/bead combo idea but I don't really want to 'inturrupt the flow' with a catch of any kind. It is currently working up to be about 28 inches (which is about 70cm). I know I have an enormous great head (to go with my enormous great hands and enormous great feet) and it fits quite comfortably over mine (Don't panic - I promise my head is not 28 inches round!!). But I know it might be a problem with people who wear glasses all the time or have BIG hair or don't like the 'noose' effect when it slips over the head. Do you think this might be a problem? Would you be comfortable with a closed circle of chain this size?

Off you toddle and go measure your head!! (Don't let you OH see you at it though!!)

I mainly make necklaces that are 18". Am I limiting my customers by mainly supplying jewellery made at 18" long??

What is the most popular length of jewellery that you guys sell???

Thanks and big hugs in advance
[[]]
Jules x

Di Sandland
25-08-2009, 06:44 PM
JUles I think that's an excellent question. Most of my necklaces are about that length too - Princess length. But it does bother me because on larger folk that might just be choker length - if you get my drift.

You could put extenders on - which I think look really pretty anyway.

Solunar Silver Studio
25-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi Jules, You could tailor the length to the sort of person you expect to buy...for example if you are doing 'young' looking pieces consider doing some shorter lengths as my daughter - who is 24 - has such a small neck a 16 inch hangs quite long on her...whereas on me - I would be garotted!! Obviously a more mature woman - on the whole - has a rather more substantial neck. I am OK with an 18 but would probably prefer something a little longer to take attention away from the less appealing bits!! :-D. Of course there are different sizes in all age groups so what I'm saying could be total twaddle...nothing new there then!!:rolleyes:

Yes... an 18 would be a reasonable average...:-"

...is it nearly time for bed yet???:dontknow:

bustagasket
25-08-2009, 07:42 PM
My pearls are all 18 not sure what the last one is

kymbi
25-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Until I started making necklaces I hadn't realised there were such differences in size - almost as bad as bracelet lengths!

I tend to make most of my necklaces around 17.5-18" and put an extender chain between 1.5-2" on most of them, with a little bead dangle for decoration. This seems to cover most sizes and oftens allows for the necklace to be worn over a polo neck in the winter. I do make some collar/choker necklaces around 16" but again, I add an extender to be on the safe side. When I'm on the market, I always have some extender chain and split rings with me so that I can make a necklace longer if necessary.

ben b
25-08-2009, 11:02 PM

Di Sandland
26-08-2009, 12:17 AM
And take it from one who knows - long necklaces are slimming

The Dragon
26-08-2009, 12:42 AM
So long as you don't wear hoops or horizontal stripes! lol

Petal
26-08-2009, 10:40 AM
:~:

Thanks guys for all the feedback - very useful, especially Ben B's comments about longer lengths being 'in'. trouble is, how can we tell as makers, when they are 'out'! (or going to be out!) - its a fickle thing this making stuff and seeing what sells, isn't it? :( Me thinks I'll make some longer length necklaces, take some extension chains and see how they go. I don't wear 'em, cos I think they get in the way, but now I learn they are slimming .... ummmm, perhaps I should!

BTW I've got some 'animal' earrings for the children (or young at heart) - Pandas, ladybirds, penguins, pigs, dogs and ducklings - I love em! The ladybirds and ducklings have little boxes to match and I think they are really cute and hope they sell! If I get time in the next few days I'll post a piccie of my menagerie. They are glass, though, so I've put a sign on that part of the display saying for ages 5 and above!

Would you avoid using glass beads for childrens jewellery?

Thanks a lot everyone
:X[[]]

Jules xx

ben b
26-08-2009, 01:48 PM

EmmaRose
02-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Make a range, or carry a variety of chains. Personally I love chokers....
Em