PDA

View Full Version : Sievert torch and soldering a wide cuff bangle

KarolinaMoon
04-03-2014, 01:33 PM
hello,

I have a sievert blow torch, with 2 different types of nozzle. One is the fine flame nozzle, and the other is the larger bushy flame. I attempted to solder a wide silver bangle with the bushy flame, as had no luck with the smaller flame. Whilst it did eventually solder with the bushy flame, I found the flame was just too big despite adjusting it etc, and it was really difficult to target the flame on the seam where I soldering. Does anyone know if there are any nozzle attachments for this torch that are somewhere inbetween the fine flame and the bushy flame (which is ideal for melting for casting). I soldered the same width of bangle at a workshop I attended recently, with no problems at all, the flame on the torch I used there was large but not bushy! Any tips or ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Karolina :)

CJ57
04-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Hi Karolina
I have a sievert and use the middle nozzle for just about everything, I don't think I've tried the very small one. Like you I was trying to solder a large setting on to a wide cuff a couple of years ago and tried the big one. Apart from the big flame the noise scared the bejesus out of me and I was damned if I could get it to solder properly, probably because I was sweating and shaking at the same time:) will be interested to hear what tips you get too

I've just looked at mine and the numbers don't match Cousins page https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/sievert-neck-tubes-high-precision-capacity-burners
But the one I use daily is 8840 and the big bushy one is a 2941. It would appear that there are even bigger ones but if you can't control the flame ....
Mine are 35 years old so the numbers are probably obsolete :(

caroleallen
04-03-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure that big nozzle is meant for soldering unless you're working on a large piece. I used to use mine for reticulating but nothing else.

KarolinaMoon
04-03-2014, 03:35 PM
thanks, that is very helpful! I got my torch from hamilton gas, so I will email them and see what burner it is. :)

KarolinaMoon
04-03-2014, 03:36 PM
I think the big flame is good for melting, casting etc. Definitely not soldering as I found out lol

MeadMoon
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
I use a 3511 neck tube with a 3939 burner with my Sievert for just about everything.

Ebo Von Gaz
05-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I use the Sievert 3939 for pretty much everything from casting to soldering, and a fine head for things around bezel wire/earring post size. I find that a delicate approach of using as low a flame as you can get away with, and very gently bringing the piece up to temperature by kind of "painting" the piece with the flame till it all reaches temperature and then getting the solder to run by finally concentrating the flame on the seam works for me. The key for me is not rushing, flame control and careful attention to temperature.

Wren
06-03-2014, 11:48 AM
I have an ancient Sievert, I use the 3940 for almost everything and the 3938 for tiny stuff, I think the numbers are the same for the new torches.
I also use Ebo's technique of creeping up on the work gently with the flame works best with a Sievert.

CJ57
06-03-2014, 12:43 PM
I have a big rotating hearth which allows you to turn the work constantly if necessary and I never change the burner. The cuff just needed something bigger but I don't know if I wasn't just frightened of the whole thing :(