PDA

View Full Version : polishing chains

madsally
03-03-2014, 10:58 AM
hiya, I've got a question I feel like everyone will know the answer to except me. sorry.

What's the best way to polish a chain after it's been mended? I've been asked to fix one, but of course it oxidises after soldering, so I'm not sure of the best way to shine it up again. I tried putting one in my magnetic polisher once, and naturally it got hellishly tangled.

Advise much appreciated.

ta.

Wallace
03-03-2014, 11:13 AM
After pickling, thread some .5 mm through the chain at intervals and connect the ends. That should stop the tangling. I put mine in a tumbler. Sometimes, I will coil it around a rod or flat top length of wood and use a couple of 3-m type discs on it.

Mostly though, they go into the tumbler they go after being threaded and secured on some wire. Because they come out all nice and shiny

medusa
03-03-2014, 11:45 AM
I made my mum a necklace which had a patinated chain. "Dirty!" she cried and stuck it in some silver dip. That worked.

CJ57
03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
If you've soldered it you will have to pickle that section first before you either polish or tumble

madsally
03-03-2014, 05:06 PM
ah, threading some wire through is a great idea to avoid tangling, thanks!

caroleallen
03-03-2014, 06:19 PM
I'd never thought of doing that either. Good tip Wallace.

ShinyLauren
03-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Oooh, clever Wallace! I'm definitely trying that wire trick.

Patstone
04-03-2014, 05:31 AM
I had some flexible plastic like the type used in collar stiffeners, make half a dozen holes and thread it through there. I also use it for small stud earrings, stops them getting lost in the shot.