PDA

View Full Version : Hallmarking question- where my punch lives!

Ebo Von Gaz
02-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Ok so I'm looking through the application form for registration with LAO.

The form asks where you would like your punch to be kept, two of the choices are Goldsmiths Hall and Greville Street.

Is there any material difference to me which one I choose and if so what is it?

Thanks in advance.

surfergirl
02-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi Ebo

The Goldsmiths Hall is on Gutter Lane near St Pauls and the Greville Street office is in Hatton Garden. There is a difference between the two if you're going for an 'early hall' service: "this next day service is available for up to 30 items and is available at Goldsmiths' Hall. It is also available for up to 10 items at our Greville Street office" (taken from their website: http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/welcome-to-the-assay-office/hallmarking-services/our-hallmarking-services/levels-of-service/ )

This was the only reason I registered at Gutter Lane though haven't yet had the need to submit more than 10 items for an early hall service.

I believe your punch can be sent to the other location if needed without much hassle (but don't quote me on that). I'd be interested to hear of any other differences.

Ebo Von Gaz
02-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Aw fanks Surfergirl. I doubt I'll be needing to get more than 10 items marked by the next day anytime soon. If that really is the only difference then I'll go with Hatton Gardens as it's probably a (comparatively) less busy office.

surfergirl
02-03-2014, 11:42 AM
I don't know if that's the only difference and LAO Steve could, I'm sure, explain a bit more - hopefully he'll be working tomorrow and will see this thread.

Ebo Von Gaz
02-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Ok understood. I've been waiting ages to get registered, another day won't hurt!

Dennis
02-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Greville Street is a branch office-well more of a twig actually. I use it because it's only a couple of blocks from Cooksons, so I can visit both in one journey. Dennis.

Ebo Von Gaz
03-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Thanks Dennis, I'm based in S Wales so the locality isn't important.

I would have gone with Birmingham but there is so much negative comment about Brum and lots of praise singing about London that I decided on London, which is a shame as Birmingham used to be known as "the workshop of the world". Plus I like the Leopard, it's an instantly recognisable mark.

Of course, both offices mark hundreds of thousands of wildly varying articles every year so something will slip up eventually, maybe the higher rate of complaints is related to a proportionally higher workload?

Just musing.

SteveLAO
03-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Morning all!
There are a number of differences between the hall and Greville st offices, the main one being that Greville Street will only accept items that are delivered by hand (either in person or by courier) - they cannot accept posted packets.
The purpose of setting up a sub office in Greville St, which is in the heart of London's jewellery quarter is to provide a quick and convenient place close to "the action". They only take packets of 10 items or less to ensure the speedy turnaround. You can leave parcels there with more than 10 items, but they will be transferred to the hall for marking and so will be a wee bit delayed as a result. Best to take a 10 minute walk and bring them over to the hall instead.
The choice of where to leave your punch then is dependent on 1) whether you can only post or you can hand deliver 2)whether you're likely to be submitting parcels of over or under 10 items.
Laser marking of course is available at both locations so you could leave your punch at one location all the time, and laser mark at the other location. We used to transfer sponsor punches between locations but we're less comfortable now about moving punches preferring that any punch doesn't leave the premises and would much prefer that you choose one location or another.
Of course there's also the option of getting two punches?
Glad to hear you're coming to London Ebo Von Gaz, it's "the home of hallmarking" where hallmarking in Britain was invented, over seven centuries ago! Looking forward to maybe seeing you when you come on your new registrants tour of the hall.

Ebo Von Gaz
03-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Ah you star, thanks Steve, that's made things much clearer, Goldsmiths Hall it is then. Would I have the option of getting an additional punch made at a later date when I don't have boring things to spend money on like bills, food and rent?

SteveLAO
03-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Yes of course, you can order another punch at any time :)

Ebo Von Gaz
03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks, just registered, feeling unaccountably nervy!:)

SteveLAO
03-03-2014, 11:12 AM
no need to......excited maybe :)

Ebo Von Gaz
03-03-2014, 11:17 AM
That's the one!