PDA

View Full Version : Barrelling machine mods

Binraker
19-02-2014, 08:26 PM
I have just posted a thing on my blog (https://peterblacksart.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/barrelling-machine/) about the mods I have made to the 3lb barrelling machine to make it slightly more usable which may be of interest to others.

Dennis
19-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Yes the lid is difficult to push right home, without venting the trapped air. But sometimes there is a piece of shot caught in there too.
The lid is also difficult to remove again without turning back your fingernails, or dislodging the bottom.
Here is a similar modification to yours, which I posted last year:

metalsmith
20-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Yes the lid is difficult to push right home, without venting the trapped air. But sometimes there is a piece of shot caught in there too.
The lid is also difficult to remove again without turning back your fingernails, or dislodging the bottom.
Here is a similar modification to yours, which I posted last year:

Of course you could always stand it in warm water for a minute or two and hey presto the contents expand and the lid pops off no problem. Mine is rubber with an alu insert... I just need to pinch the rubber to break the seal but I have to sweep for pins etc just about every time the lid comes off.

Dennis
20-02-2014, 10:54 PM
The barrel consists of a black plastic tube with similar white lids top and bottom. The challenge is to leave the bottom securely in place at all times, because if it separates even a little, some shot intrudes into the gap and prevents it from being re-seated.

You then have to empty the whole thing, clear the obstruction and re-fill from scratch.

If I were buying again, I would definitely go for the aluminium lid with a venting facility. Dennis.