PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something??

Lucie
19-02-2014, 01:53 PM
OK, so I phoned Sutton Tools for their opinion about which pendant motor to buy.
The Foredom SR apparently has the quick release hand piece and runs at 18,000rpm. It comes in at £226.14

The quick release Milbro runs with a 12,000rpm is £290 and you have to buy the hand piece separately for about £150 - so £440 in total!!

The guy at Suttons said that there was really no discernible difference.
Can this really be true considering the massive difference in price?

Any advice before I spend any money would be really welcome :) x

Patstone
19-02-2014, 03:03 PM
I have the Foredom, but found that drill bits tend to slip in the quick release hand piece, you are supposed to be able to adjust them but it wouldn't work for me. Saying that, I wrote to Foredom in USA and they sent me a chuck hand piece free of charge so I use that for drills.

ShinyLauren
19-02-2014, 05:58 PM
I got the Foredom SR with the No.30 handpiece, as it fits in the drill press that I also wanted, thus turning the pendant motor into a pillar drill - genius!

It takes seconds to change drillbits etc with the chuck handpiece, but I've never had a quick release handpiece so I guess I don't really know what I'm missing.

Lucie
19-02-2014, 06:31 PM
I have the problem with accessories working their way loose in my old Dremel - It's the main reason I'm replacing it. It doesn't matter how much I tighten it, so the thought of the Foredom doing the same things is very off putting.
The guy at Suttons seemed to be saying the two motors were pretty much identical, just that the Milbro cost more?

I don't have quick release at the moment and it doesn't really bother me cause I'm used to it, but I know a lot of folk seem to prefer them.

Am wondering whether I might be better off with the Milbro Pendant Motor with Fixed Handpiece 18,000rpm, but it's still quite a bit more money?

Nick martin
19-02-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Foredom SR after purchasing one at Xmas. I find the quick release handpiece sufficient for most things. However if you're going to be doing serious drilling then the still bit can slip a little, so the No.30 handpiece is a wise buy too as has been said.

The Milbro is British made and meant to be of a very high quality, however I think the Foredoms a better choice because of its price, great customer service, and large range of accessories.

Lauren: contemplating getting the drill press.. Decent piece of kit then?

Nick

Lucie
19-02-2014, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=ShinyLauren;63041]I got the Foredom SR with the No.30 handpiece, as it fits in the drill press that I also wanted, thus turning the pendant motor into a pillar drill - genius!

I wouldn't have thought of that Lauren - absolute genius!! :)

ShinyLauren
19-02-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Foredom SR after purchasing one at Xmas. I find the quick release handpiece sufficient for most things. However if you're going to be doing serious drilling then the still bit can slip a little, so the No.30 handpiece is a wise buy too as has been said.

The Milbro is British made and meant to be of a very high quality, however I think the Foredoms a better choice because of its price, great customer service, and large range of accessories.

Nick

I love it! I have a complete inability to drill straight through thick sheet/wire/tube without a pendant drill, but didn't have the space for a pendant drill - hence Foredom/drill press combination. I upgraded to the Foredom from a cheap Axminster pendant drill (which was actually pretty decent) and before that I had a dremel with flexshaft which drove me mental on a daily basis. When it finally died I did not mourn its passing very much!

Dennis
19-02-2014, 06:47 PM
I personally dislike multipurpose tools, because they need to be set up when you want them. My recommendation would be a Proxxon drill press, which is quite small, but takes drills upto 6.5mm. You do need to buy the three jaw chuck, which is an optional extra, but then it is always ready to go. Dennis.

Lucie
Hmmm - Leaning towards the Foredom. Can definitely see the drill press being very handy.
Does the Milbro not take a good range of accessories then?

ShinyLauren
[QUOTE=ShinyLauren;63041]I got the Foredom SR with the No.30 handpiece, as it fits in the drill press that I also wanted, thus turning the pendant motor into a pillar drill - genius!

I wouldn't have thought of that Lauren - absolute genius!! :)

It is rather good! I've never used a Milbro, so can't comment on how much better they'd be than a Foredom, though. With the caveat that I am not a professional jeweller, I would say that I'm completely happy with my Foredom and the guy I did a stonesetting course with last year uses them himself and on all his teaching benches. I would see no reason to pay extra for the Milbro and I'd personally not bother with the quick release handpiece (although this may make a difference timewise if you're working all day and every day at the bench).

ShinyLauren
19-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Oooh, just remembered the other reason I went for the Foredom - it has a handpiece, which I also bought but now can't remember which number it is, that takes larger shanked accessories, which allows me to use the 2" radial discs with their special mandrel on my pendant motor.

Lisa Quinn
19-02-2014, 06:53 PM

Nick

Hi Nick,

Just a thought, I'm selling my Proxxon drill press and vice ( fantastic piece of kit, bit I'm leaving the UK in five months and I am having to sell off a lot of my workshop tools!)

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Proxxon-Bench-Drill-Tbm220-prcode-999-3207

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Proxxon-Machine-Vice-Ms4-prcode-999-3307

Happy to sell the pair for £95 plus postage?

Lisa

ShinyLauren
19-02-2014, 06:54 PM
I personally dislike multipurpose tools, because they need to be set up when you want them. My recommendation would be a Proxxon drill press, which is quite small, but takes drills upto 6.5mm. You do need to buy the three jaw chuck, which is an optional extra, but then it is always ready to go. Dennis.

This is true, but when you only have a very small space to work in, the Foredom drill press sits quietly on the side of my bench, takes up very little room, and it takes around 30 seconds to slot it into the press and tighten the bolts with the allan key. I'd love a separate pillar drill and agree with multipurpose tools taking a little more time, but when you're working in your spare room every inch of space counts!

Lucie
19-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Oooh, just remembered the other reason I went for the Foredom - it has a handpiece, which I also bought but now can't remember which number it is, that takes larger shanked accessories, which allows me to use the 2" radial discs with their special mandrel on my pendant motor.

That's definitely worth knowing. Sounds like buying the Foredom would free up some pennies for some very useful accessories.
I polish and file with my dremel a lot. I'll ask Suttons what number handpiece this would be. xx

ShinyLauren
19-02-2014, 07:00 PM
I *think* it's the H44T but am currently trapped by a purring cat so can't go upstairs and check!

Nick martin
19-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks Lisa, but with the Foredom drill press setup I can control the speed via the foot pedal. Appreciated though.

Nick

Lucie
19-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks hunni :) I'm currently typing one handed with a colicky baby in the other arm and another 3 kiddies waiting for baths, so know that feeling!
Better go organise everyone :)

Lucie
19-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi Nick,

Just a thought, I'm selling my Proxxon drill press and vice ( fantastic piece of kit, bit I'm leaving the UK in five months and I am having to sell off a lot of my workshop tools!)

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Proxxon-Bench-Drill-Tbm220-prcode-999-3207

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Proxxon-Machine-Vice-Ms4-prcode-999-3307

Happy to sell the pair for £95 plus postage?

Lisa

Lisa - It would be great to see a list of any other workshop tools! You're not selling any doming stuff or punches by any chance?

caroleallen
19-02-2014, 07:47 PM
I've got both a Milbro and a Foredom. Both have quick release hand pieces - the Milbro has a Faro. I'd hate to have to fiddle around with spanners to change the bits. I also have a Dremel that I've set up in a drill press which is useful. I like both the Milbro and the Foredom equally, so I'd probably go with the Foredom on price. The Milbro though has been running non-stop for about 15 years with just a bit of oil in the flexshaft from time to time. The Foredom is fairly new, so I can't comment on its longevity.

Lucie
19-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks Carole :) Do you have any issues with accessories coming loose in either? Does your Milbro take most accessories with different shank sizes (like the 2" radial discs Lauren mentioned)?

Lisa Quinn
19-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks Lisa, but with the Foredom drill press setup I can control the speed via the foot pedal. Appreciated though.

Nick
No probs:):):)

CJ57
20-02-2014, 01:40 AM
I agree with Dennis, I used to do my drilling by hand until I bought the proxxon, it's a neat little drill and I've just bought the chuck which has made all the difference

mizgeorge
20-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Another huge thumbs up for the little Proxxon. I much, much prefer this to my foredom press, and like Dennis, tend to prefer one tool to do one job really well, rather than asking it to do more than one less well.

Tabby66
20-02-2014, 08:34 AM
My understanding is that the milibro is a great bit of kit, it is a real workhorse and therefore used by many full time jewellers/ professionals.

I upgraded from a dremel type hand piece to a foredoom about 3+ years ago, my workload has increased substantially in that time, but it seems to be ideal. I have had problems with my quick release hand piece slipping, but the supply of a new chuck and being shown the 'technique' for tightening it by (the then very helpful guys at Cousins in Birmingham, before they shut that branch :( ), I have not had further problems, occasionally it loosens, but it's quick and easy to tighten (when you know how.....I didn't find the leaflet supplied very easy to follow).

I also invested in the bench press and I keep my No. 30 hand piece in that permanently, I cover the top of the hand piece with a coke bottle top when it's not in use, to prevent dust getting into it. Then all I have to do is swap the shaft from the quick release to the no.30, a very quick click and change!!

Unless you have a very high workload, I'd recommend the foredoom, it's good quality and in terms of value for money and the ability to extend it's use with a variety of accessories.

Tabby xx

Patstone
20-02-2014, 08:42 AM
I am glad it wasnt just me that couldnt follow the instructions for altering the tension on the Foredom handpiece. I tried to loosen and tighten and it didnt seem to make any difference. In the end I cut off the end of the allan key and had another go at it, but some of the shafts still slip. I wondered if it was a fault of the cheaper mops etc, a tad too small !!!!!

caroleallen
20-02-2014, 09:14 AM
I've never had a problem with the Faro hand piece slipping in all the years I've used it. So far the Foredom is fine and hasn't slipped.

surfergirl
20-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I have a Foredom and love it! Didn’t have any similar tools beforehand but now it’s like an extra limb. I would also agree with the positives of Foredom customer service. Even though they’re in the USA I’ve had useful and pleasant dealings with them. They sent me a new No20 handpiece for free after I experienced problems with the bearings that click onto the flexshaft, oh AND they sent me a new shaft kit. I also have the no30 handpiece (the chuck handpiece) which I still use if using accessories with a bigger shaft. Can’t comment on the Milbro, though.

Lisa! Where are you off too?