PDA

View Full Version : reflections silver rolling and wierd weight issue

medusa
19-02-2014, 10:31 AM
I've had an order for a coller but because regular sterling turns the client's neck green they want it made from Reflections. However it doesn't come in the wire dimensions I normally use so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for rolling long lengths down. I thought I could buy 4.8 by 2.4 and roll down to 2mm which brings it close to my usual 5 x 1.7. Thing is when I've rolled long lengths before I always seem to end up kinking it. Any advice on how to get a smooth roll over this length?

Also in pricing it up I did a direct comparison between regular and reflections and I noticed that reflections weighs less than regular which is cool because it means the price isn't much different despite the difference per gramme. But I wonder why?

Dennis
19-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Hi Liz,

I frequently roll square into rectangular and rectangular to slightly thinner, with no problem. It already comes soft, so the secret is to close the rollers extremely slowly and not at all at the second pass, but just turn it over. Then to anneal if it feels at all stiff before going on.

Inevitably it will end up a little curved. As I mostly like to start making things with my wires perfectly straight, the next move is to stretch it on a draw bench. Dennis.

medusa
19-02-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm not really bothered about the curve as I can work with that for the collar shape but I have noticed that when I roll anything which takes more than two turns of the handle, I tend to get a ridge where I've come back around. Also I'd heard that reflections work hardens very fast and annealing might be an issue with these kind of lengths. I doubt my torch could cope with it.

I think I might offer to do it using 6 x 2mm wire and swallow up the extra cost. It's only about a fiver difference.