PDA

View Full Version : Hallmarking - chains and things...

Milomade
17-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Hi

Just a quick question about hallmarking - if I make a pendant and that weighs under 7.78g and then put that on a silver chain which also weighs under 7.78g - do I have to worry about the combined weight which might exceed 7.78g and therefore get the piece hallmarked?

Just wondering how things work with regards to chains, chokers etc and whether these are classed as separate from the pendant element or whether you have to combine weights of a piece as a whole?

Thanks

Evie

medusa
17-02-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm sure Steve will clarify, but my understanding is is that if the chain is integral to the piece then it's a combined weight. So I guess that if the pendant can be removed from the chain because it's on a bail, then total weight isn't counted, but if the chain is connected to the pendant, then the total weight is counted. So a necklace like this:
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1342/5120382144_ce521198c7_z.jpg

wouldn't need hallmarking if over 7.78g but one like this:
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1371/5120379928_1fb3fee657_z.jpg
would, because it's all connected.

ETA: sorry total flikr link fail!

and again! here's hoping!

Milomade
17-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Ok thanks for clarifying that.

Just getting my head around hallmarking as I'm about to register with the Assay office in Edinburgh. I had a good chat with them this morning about working with recycled silver as a lot of my work is made from british hallmarked antique silverware and most of my current stuff doesn't require hallmarking but some pieces do hold the original makers marks and I wanted to calrify what to do in those circumstances.

New work I'm hoping to create is going to combine antique silverware (already hallmarked) with new Eco Silver and in this instance I've been advised that I have to remove the original makers mark and replace this with my own if the piece is over 7.78g. I was hoping I could keep the original makers mark and have mine as an additional mark, but that's not allowed and would be bordering on illegal apparently.

I forgot to ask about chains etc. Most chains I buy are from Cooksons and are already marked as 925.

SteveLAO
17-02-2014, 02:51 PM
If the chain is easily detachable from the pendant then the pendant and chain will be classed as two separate items. If you can't remove the chain from the pendant then it counts as one item.

Please be VERY careful when working with already hallmarked items, as there are very strict guidelines within the hallmarking act governing what you can and cannot do. If you do not conform to the act there are pretty severe punishments including hefty fines, confiscation and prison sentences. If I were you I would have an extremely detailed conversation with your chosen assay office. Tell them EXACTLY what it is you are intending to do in detail and do EXACTLY what they say and you'll be fine. Please do your research first before going on ahead though. Scott, the assay master at Edinburgh is extremely knowledgeable and will guide you well.

For example please double check exactly what they have said about removing makers marks etc.....the law states it is an offence to alter remove or tamper with a hallmark, and also an offence to add metal to an already hallmarked item unless you have done exactly what the assay office tells you and you will have to have the item re-hallmarked with the old mark being obliterated.

Just to be absolutely clear....you CANNOT remove a sponsor mark from an already hallmarked item and replace it with you own!

Its an absolute minefield....be warned!!