PDA

View Full Version : Smith Little Torch - where to buy?

Nick martin
16-02-2014, 09:29 PM
As the title suggests, does anyone know of a reputable UK dealer that retails this soldering torch?

I've checked and cannot locate one.

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wallace
16-02-2014, 09:51 PM
try Walsh's

http://www.hswalsh.com/product/little-torch-kit-tb40

Goldsmith
16-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Try H S Walsh, they sell them and are a reputable UK dealer. See; http://www.hswalsh.com/product/little-torch-kit-tb40

James

Tabby66
16-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Yep,.......Walshes....;)

Nick martin
17-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Brilliant, thank you. One last thing, where on earth do you buy the oxygen tanks from? I know this can run on butane, propane etc but where's the best source for the Oxygen do you think?

Nick

caroleallen
17-02-2014, 08:17 AM
I think very few of us use oxygen tanks Nick. We all prefer to use an oxycon. If you search for oxycon on here, I'm sure you'll find lots of information.

Goldsmith
17-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Brilliant, thank you. One last thing, where on earth do you buy the oxygen tanks from? I know this can run on butane, propane etc but where's the best source for the Oxygen do you think?

Nick

Nick, I run my Little torch on Propane which I get from a local garden centre, you pay a one off fee to rent the cylinder and from then on it's just refill costs. As for oxygen I rent my cylinder from BOC and then it's just refill costs. Many members of this forum have bought reconditioned oxygen generators. See; http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d28_tuffnellglass.com.html There is an Oxygen Concentrator for £235 on this page, it is a model others have got and recommended.
I will probably get one when my current BOC rental contract runs out.

James

Nick martin
17-02-2014, 08:57 AM
No problem with the propane as I've got a large tank I run a Siervert torch off for melting down metals. It was the Oxygen part that stumped me. However thanks for the info on the oxycon setup Carole / James, and I'll do a search on the forum for more info.

Thanks as always,

Nick

donnie
17-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Hi Nick. I use a BOC oxygen tank costs about £84 per year, the oxycon generator at £235 looks attractive and would pay back in four years but would it be sufficient to run my little torch.

DONNIE

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

mizgeorge
17-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi Nick. I use a BOC oxygen tank costs about £84 per year, the oxycon generator at £235 looks attractive and would pay back in four years but would it be sufficient to run my little torch.

DONNIE

www.silver-n-things.co.uk

Very much so. In fact, I only need to run my oxycon at around a third of its maximum capacity for the little torch.

Tabby66
17-02-2014, 09:23 PM
I swapped from BOC oxygen cylinder when my contract ran out about 15 months ago to an oxycon generator. Ideal piece of kit and more than adequate for the little torch.

Kathryn Harrison
18-02-2014, 10:06 AM
I ordered my little smith's from the US via an ebay seller just before christmas and I couldn't be happier with it! I joined the band wagon of the propane oxycon setup and I really like it.

Binraker
19-02-2014, 08:39 PM
if you do want decide you want bottled oxygen I use Adams Gas for my welding gas as it's a £55 deposit on the bottle and keep it as long as you like company and the refills aren't extortionate.

http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/index.php/hobby-gas-welding/hobby-gas-oxygen-gas-9l-137bar-new-bottle-detail
and then refills
http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/index.php/hobby-gas-welding/hobby-gas-oxygen-gas-9l-137bar-refill-only-detail

Ross
06-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Hello everyone :) My name is Ross.
I am newbie in silversmithing and jewelry making and I find this forum very very helpful. Тill now I had some practicing only with tin but now decided to start with silver.Anyway, straight to the point.I hope you can give me some info about The little Torch offered for sale in Walshes. I see on their webside that in the set are not included propane and oxy regulators and flashback arrestors. Does this mean that this torch can fit directly (without additional smaller fittings) with the standard uk propane cylinder (3/8'' LH thread) and uk standard Oxy cylinder (I'm not sure about the size of the thread of the refillable oxy cylinders)? I ask this because already bough a bit bigger torch from USA that cannot fit with any UK devices, so I sold it.
Thanks in advance
P.S. The question is about how fit the hoses of The Little Torch with the standard UK 3/8'' threaded regulators. I know that the regulators are necessary part.Thanks

ps_bond
08-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Hi Ross - the Little Torch supplied by Walsh comes with 3/8" fittings, both LH and RH thread; if I've understood the question correctly then you will need a propane regulator and flashback arrestor; if you're using an O2 cylinder then you'll need an O2 reg and flashback arrestor, although if you go the oxygen concentrator route you need neither of those.

Ross
08-05-2014, 06:59 AM
"Hi Ross - the Little Torch supplied by Walsh comes with 3/8" fittings, both LH and RH thread;"-thanks a lot, Peter :) That was the answer I was waiting for :)
Regards

Aurarius
28-09-2014, 01:04 AM
I've just bought the Little Torch kit from Cooksons. I'd been meaning to have a dabble and at a two-figure sum (OK, before VAT) I took the plunge.

I'm going the Oxycon route. I know that means I only need a propane regulator and propane flashback arrestor. I've still got a few questions, though.

1. Where in the chain does the flashback arrestor attach? Is the order torch/hose/flashback arrestor/propane regulator/fuel tank?
2. Can the Little Torch run off the disposable fuel tanks, i.e. these (http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p13125). If so, presumably I'd need a specific regulator, would I? I was planning on getting this regulator - http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/media/l_propane%20reg.jpg, but I imagine it only works with the refillable tanks, not the disposable ones.
3. The Tuffnell blurb on the Oxycon talks about jubilee clips: "You just need hosing which will come with the oxy-con and 2 jubilee clips, you put one end of the hosing on the oxy-con and put the jubilee clip on tight then the other end goes on the torch and put the jubilee clip on and tighten."
I can envisage the need for a jubilee clip to fasten the Oxycon line to where it exits the Oxycon, but I can't quite envisage where the jubilee clip comes in in connecting the Oxycon line to the torch hose. There's a big brass nut on the end of both hoses supplied with the torch. I had the idea that the nut on the end of the oxygen hose probably joins with a coupling on the line coming from the Oxycon. Possibly this is not the case. Where does the jubilee clip come in then? I can't quite picture its role in connecting the Oxycon line to the torch hose.

Anyone who's still listening, thanks for bearing with me.

Mark.

Nick martin
05-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I started this thread many months ago, and to be honest Im still struggling with the setup! Embarrassing but true!

I too have just noticed that Cooksons are selling this torch, although its a bit odd that they dont do a package or at least advise what extra equipment is required.

Nick