PDA

View Full Version : Identification please

Patstone
15-02-2014, 08:17 AM
I have a couple of stones like this one, but dont know what they are as they were bought a long time ago, (50 years ago actually!!!), thanks in advance. The pale bits in the stone are pink, and the brown bits are Carnelian coloured.

caroleallen
15-02-2014, 07:04 PM
I haven't a clue Pat. Have you tried googling a stone identification site?

metalsmith
15-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Possibly - going on appearance alone - dendritic agate
Have you tried hardness / specific gravity?

Patstone
15-02-2014, 08:43 PM
They were made into earrings for me, but I never liked the style, just a post stuck on the back. I thought I may make them into something a bit more fitting. I also have a loose stone the same. I wondered if it was some sort of agate. I don't know how hard it is. I have been looking at stone sellers to find out but without a picture I can't tell.

medusa
15-02-2014, 09:11 PM
They're pretty stones, Pat. What do you plan doing with them?

Patstone
15-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Not sure really, possibly a pendant, I bought the two round ones when I was sixteen, the shop put the posts on the back. I bought another stone at a rock n gem show a few years ago, but the label came off so don't know what it is. I will draw up a few designs later.
Looked at your Folksy site, love the rings, especially the Blue Chaldency one. I wondered how you darkened the silver, it looks really good.

Dennis
16-02-2014, 10:22 AM
What stones they are? It's quite obvious to me: they're Pat's Stones of course.

medusa
16-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Not sure really, possibly a pendant, I bought the two round ones when I was sixteen, the shop put the posts on the back. I bought another stone at a rock n gem show a few years ago, but the label came off so don't know what it is. I will draw up a few designs later.
Looked at your Folksy site, love the rings, especially the Blue Chaldency one. I wondered how you darkened the silver, it looks really good.

I don't have a folksy site! too bogged down with study at the moment to go there.

Patstone
16-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Must be having another senior moment, sorry. Keep up the study, whatever it is for, it will be worth it in the end. X

P.S Just found what I was looking for it was Theresa's site, sorry once again.

medusa
16-02-2014, 04:16 PM
heh, I don't mind my work being confused with Teresa's :D

Patstone
16-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Just got the names mixed up, knew it had an 'a' on the end. Lol. I havent seen your work I dont think, so I can't comment, but I am sure its lovely. Where are you based, not that I am nosey but I just picture where in the world people live. (I think I need to get out more !!!!!)

medusa
16-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm near Lands End. bum hole of the country. Luckily not under water though! :)

Patstone
16-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Cornwall is lovely, from what I can remember of Lands end when I was a kid, a bit like north devon, - wild and windy.

lilacmonkey
17-02-2014, 05:39 PM
im going to stick my neck on the line.looks to me like a moss agate.could do with a photo of the rear view.most certainly say agate rather then jasper.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Patstone
17-02-2014, 07:44 PM
It has an earring post on it but I can take a photo of it from the back. At the time I bought a pair of moss agate earrings as well, but they were mostly green, cant show you one of those as one a dog ate and I threw away the other one as at that time I didnt make jewellery.