PDA

View Full Version : Hall marking Query

Nick martin
13-02-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm fully registered with Edinburgh Assay office but I've yet to get anything marked as I plan to do it in a batch. Got a few questions though if anyone can help?

On the likes of a bracelet, is it possible to add a small circular tag onto the end, one side my logo ( I'd stamp it ) and the other side the hallmark, or would the Assay office insist on stamping each individual link ?

Cheers,

Nick

Nick martin
13-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Forgot to add that I plan on getting my pieces laser Hallmarked and I've paid for the artwork costs etc already.

SteveLAO
14-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Hi Nick.... When you mean your logo do you mean your sponsor mark? If so, then yes you are able to apply the sponsor mark yourself if you wish and the assay office will then complete the hallmark. However you MUST ensure if you're going to do so that you apply the sponsor mark BEFORE you send in your items. The assay office wont release your goods unless it has a complete hallmark on it, and if you don't put on the sponsor mark then they will!
The assay office won't stamp each individual link on a bracelet....you only get one hallmark per complete item. It's fine to add a tag for hallmarking so long as the tag is soldered on permanently and cannot be removed. It them becomes part of the bracelet.

I do see that you want your items lasered, so if you do strike your own sponsor mark, unless you've got a fancy laser machine, then you will of course have a struck sponsor mark together with a laser hallmark, which may or may not be acceptable to you? Legally it's ok but I'm not sure if that's the look you're going for?

(PS shame you didn't sign with us.....we don't charge for laser software setup :) )

Nick martin
14-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Hi Steve and cheers for that comprehensive answer.

I wasn't referring to my sponsors mark, but my business logo. Ie me physically stamping my logo onto a silver disc that is permanently soldered onto for example a bracelet, and asking the assay office to laser etch the full hallmark on the reverse side.

Thanks for the heads up on not charging for laser setup.. But a bit late now!

Nick

SteveLAO
14-02-2014, 09:33 AM
If you mean a logo (separate from your sponsor mark) then yes you can do that, but the same applies as above with reference to the fixing of the tag