PDA

View Full Version : Enamelling.

Lucie
13-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Could anyone recommend a good and trustworthy enameller for work on sterling silver pendants / charms.
I've found one person listed on the goldsmiths website, but was wondering if anyone had any personal recommendantions?
Thanks. x

caroleallen
13-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Not really Lucie, I do my own. You could always try the Guild of Enamellers and see if they have anyone who can help.

medusa
13-02-2014, 06:17 PM
I think there's a yahoo enamelling group which I think is connected to the GoE as well. lots of them are based in the USA but a few of them are UK based

Nick martin
13-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Wouldn't you fancy have a go at it yourself as the equipment needed isn't prohibitively expensive?

Nick

Lucie
14-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - I'll have a look around.

Nick - I'd love to learn to do it myself - that's my aim eventually :) I keep meaning to put my poor old kiln to better use! Unfortunately with four kiddies under 7 and a two-week old baby, going on a course isn't going to be an option for a little while.
I've been trying to find a decent book - but most of them seem to focus on enamelling on copper, which isn't really very helpful

MeadMoon
14-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Hi Lucie,

The best book that I've found so far is "The Art of Enameling" by Linda Darty. Sorry for the US spelling, it's a Lark Crafts book. To enamel sterling silver, it would have to go through a process of depletion gilding first to avoid a problem with firescale.

Lucie
14-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi Elaine,

Thanks ever so much. I've just found it on Amazon, so I think I'll treat myself :)

I bought a beginners guide a few months ago & all the instructions were for enamelling on copper blanks - complete waste of money!
I've been using cold-enamel on sterling silver items, but it's nowhere near as nice as vitreous enamel.
I've also had a few requests to add enamel to white gold pieces, but people want the enamel to be "real". x

Goldsmith
14-02-2014, 11:51 AM
I have friends who are enamellers, but I think they may be a bit pricey for your silver charms.
But if you are looking for top quality enamelling then try Keith Seldon, he has done a lot of enamelling for me in the past, see; http://www.keithseldon.co.uk/
Also there is Graham Hamilton, who owns Kempson Mauger, P.O.box8078, Ongar, Essex,CO5 0WT. phone, 01272824754

James

caroleallen
14-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Although you can teach yourself enamelling, I'd always recommend a short course as it's such a big topic and there are so many things that can go wrong. Even after enamelling for about 15 years, I still get rejects. I would recommend the Linda Darty book though, it's the absolute best and does cover enamelling on silver and gold as well as copper.

I don't know how you even have time to think about enamelling with so much going on. What a busy person you must be with all your children.

medusa
14-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi Lucie,

The best book that I've found so far is "The Art of Enameling" by Linda Darty. Sorry for the US spelling, it's a Lark Crafts book. To enamel sterling silver, it would have to go through a process of depletion gilding first to avoid a problem with firescale.

I'm really bad. I almost never ever depletion guild.

caroleallen
14-02-2014, 08:04 PM
I'm really bad. I almost never ever depletion guild.

I don't very often depletion guild either.

Lucie
14-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks very much James. Definitely worth considering for the gold items. Not sure if I'm ready to chance cremating that much money just yet :)

I have friends who are enamellers, but I think they may be a bit pricey for your silver charms.
But if you are looking for top quality enamelling then try Keith Seldon, he has done a lot of enamelling for me in the past, see; http://www.keithseldon.co.uk/
Also there is Graham Hamilton, who owns Kempson Mauger, P.O.box8078, Ongar, Essex,CO5 0WT. phone, 01272824754

James

Lucie
14-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Although you can teach yourself enamelling, I'd always recommend a short course as it's such a big topic and there are so many things that can go wrong. Even after enamelling for about 15 years, I still get rejects. I would recommend the Linda Darty book though, it's the absolute best and does cover enamelling on silver and gold as well as copper.

Thanks for the advice Carole. I contacted a guy relatively close to me in Suffolk about a course, but I'm still waiting to hear back, so for now I think I'll treat myself to the book and try to get enough "me time" to read it :)

I don't know how you even have time to think about enamelling with so much going on. What a busy person you must be with all your children.

There's definitely not enough hours in the day! I can work full time from home with the children which is a blessing, but I usually find myself surviving on 4 hours sleep and trying to fit in jobs like washing my carpets, by doing them at midnight ;)

caroleallen
15-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Washing your carpets?!!! That's a once in a blue moon job for me.

ps_bond
15-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Wash carpets? Burn them to recover the lemel!

Tabby66
15-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Wash carpets? Burn them to recover the lemel!

Yep, Peter, I'm with you!!