PDA

View Full Version : Opal

theresa
10-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Hi guys - I have been asked to quote to set an 11x8mm Opal cabochon in a silver claw setting but am unsure if this will be strong enough.
I made a mock up and to my mind the silver (1mm) seemed flimsy. I am going to try 1.3mm next time but obviously I can't go too thick as it will overpower the stone. Don't want him coming back because the stone has fallen out!
I tried to push him towards a bezel setting but he prefers the claw!
What do you think? Any suggestions gratefully received.

LydiaNiz
10-02-2014, 08:51 PM
How about using d-section wire for the claw prongs? - the 2.3mm x 1.5 would be chunky enough to make a solid claw, but still look pretty (if you rounded the tips). If that's too hefty for you, I'd go for at least 1.3 as you say, and prob round off rectangular wire.

theresa
10-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Forgot to say it's a pendant. I did try the D section but thought it a bit heavy. Decisions, decisions......

Dennis
10-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Hi Theresa, Some pictures would help.

As I understand it, you are worried about what claws to have.

Well round claws alone can be very boring and not so decorative. Supposing you use only four, but use 0.8mm round wire, bent into an upside-down U-shape.

They would be very strong and retentive, easy to set, but still look good with a cabochon. They need to be only a little taller than the bulge and need hardly any finishing. I would try to use a soft setter such as the end of a bamboo chop stick, or at most a brass rod in a handle. Dennis.

Dennis
11-02-2014, 09:39 AM
I have been debating with myself as to whether to add this, but thought I would incase it catches you by surprise:

Most cabochons are slightly curved underneath, which does not matter for a bezel setting. But if you use claws, a gap will show all the way round if the metal backing is left flat.

It would be best if the backing could be slightly curved like a tea spoon, or you added a thin oval jump ring to hide the gap. Dennis.

Didi
11-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I agree with you Dennis. I love boulder opals but they are really tricky to set in a bezel because of the curvature. In the past I have 'blocked' up the edges with wire to keep them level. If you can file a jump ring to fit the wobbles then claws should work - be very careful pushing them over because opals have a nasty habit of flaking at the edges. This little one though was waaay too wobbly for any kind of jump ring or bezel so I had to use a bit of ingenuity.

Didi

theresa
11-02-2014, 05:07 PM
I have been debating with myself as to whether to add this, but thought I would incase it catches you by surprise:

Most cabochons are slightly curved underneath, which does not matter for a bezel setting. But if you use claws, a gap will show all the way round if the metal backing is left flat.

It would be best if the backing could be slightly curved like a tea spoon, or you added a thin oval jump ring to hide the gap. Dennis.

Yes, I had noticed that little quirk, I wonder why they are made like that? Makes them slippery little devils.
I will try what you suggest, thanks Dennis.