PDA

View Full Version : Bench Work jobs?

tricitybendix
09-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Hello. Does anyone know anything about finding work in the jewellery making field?

I work full time, and make jewellery as a hobby, but would like to tilt the balance so I am doing more jewellery, and ideally earning some money from it. I've heard that the Birmingham Assay office sometimes advertise for bench workers, and wondered if this might be something I could do. I go pretty regularly to a night class, and have built up some skills from it.

Also, how easy is it to find apprenticeships, especially ones that are paid? Pretty difficult I imagine.

Anyone have any ideas? I am based in the Midlands.

Thanks in advance.

caroleallen
09-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I've got an idea there is an apprenticeship scheme in the Midlands for jewellers. There is one in Cornwall but I don't know how successful it is. I tried to find an apprentice last year and there was really only one person who applied and she came for a week's work experience and then left as she preferred being a waitress! I'd have jumped at the chance to have someone who already had some skills. You don't get paid much but at least you come out at the end with a qualification rather than a huge student debt. Good luck!

tricitybendix
09-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks so much for your reply. That's really interesting to know and I will begin hunting!

Stirring Moose
09-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Bit of a different take on it but how skilled are you already? If you're already making stuff in your spare time to a reasonable quality why not try a bit of on-line selling. If you sell a bit you're making some money from your hobby, if it really starts going you're working in the jewellery field which is where you want to be. I know this isn't quite an answer to the question you asked but could it be an alternative?

S.M.

Tabby66
10-02-2014, 12:03 AM
If opportunities in mainstream benchwork come up, they are often advertised here http://benchpeg.com/opportunities/
Good luck!!