PDA

View Full Version : Still looking at cheap rolling mills

Patstone
09-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Anyone that has experience in rolling mills out there please. I have quite a few bits of waste silver collected over the three years, probably about half a jam jar full, and dont know what to do with it. Most of it is pieces rather than dust. I have been making silver balls and odd shapes for pendants out of it but it seems a waste really and wondered if a rolling mill would solve my problem. I am afraid I dont know much about them, but hate waste, and although people like Cookies will take it back, they require about 2 kilos of it which would take for the rest of my life to get. I also fancy having something other than hammers to make patterns on silver and think a rolling mill may do this. Most of the silver I use is about 1mm thick or less. I cant melt silver in my spare bedroom, but I do have a large garage that I could use that already has a bench made up of railway sleepers so its sturdy. Would a big DIY plumbers torch melt the silver, and is there anything that I would need to know. Another one on fleabay, have a look and tell me what you think please.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mini-rolling-mill-7-rollers-3-X-1-5-8-S-S-gears-and-wheels-/370924230591?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

can I justify buying one for the faci!city of using my small amount of scrap.

caroleallen
09-02-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't think Cookies do require that much Pat. I just get a scrap pot from them and when it's full, I send it off. I think the last lot was about 600gm.

If you're thinking about melting your scrap down and rolling it out, you need to take into account the amount of time it takes. I've given up on that idea as I was losing the will to live!

If you just want to justify buying a rolling mill, don't think twice about it! It's a vital bit of kit in my studio and I couldn't live without it.

Dennis
09-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Cooksons don't worry too much, but as they charge about £40 for the assay, which is not optional, you need about a kilo of scrap to make it financially worth while.

However, as Carole has said, melting re-alloying and rolling scrap is a complete pain. That said, pouring into a long open mould for wire might be easier. All you need is a groove in your soldering block to pour into and the V-shaped grooves to make square wire.

Apart from that is the convenience of producing sheet to you required thickness from very limited stock. For instance on a course I attended they only had a reel of rectangular wire and we rolled it down as needed for different projects.

Lastly there is rolling down with fabric and paper for endless textures and cutting stencils for you own designs. No more hammering to flatten either, because if you texture both sides at the same time, the sheet comes out flat.

That said there is still a learning curve and the biggest mistake for beginners is to close the rollers too quickly and not anneal often a enough. Dennis.

Patstone
09-02-2014, 02:11 PM
It seems more trouble than its worth. It's just that I have a birthday coming up at the end of Feb and hubby keeps asking what I want. The other thing I would like to try is a Knew C saw, but not sure if it would help my piercing skills to be a bit better. I HATE piercing, cutting, sawing anything, and will cut it with snips if I can.

caroleallen
09-02-2014, 03:13 PM
I'd go for the rolling mill if he's offering! As for piercing, it's just practice really. I expect it also doesn't help that you have an eye problem Pat. I have wonky eyes - one for distance and one for close and I sometimes struggle to follow a line unless the light is really good. Although I've got a daylight lamp, I'm still better working with actual daylight. Not sure the Knew Concept would make a world of difference.

LydiaNiz
09-02-2014, 04:19 PM
yup, the only jewellery related pressie I have ever been bought was the bargain rolling mill - it's just right for me, I don't use it loads, and only use it for texturing .5-2mm sheet and it does the job fine.

caroleallen
09-02-2014, 05:12 PM
This one looks good value and condition. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durston-80mm-Mini-Rolling-Mill-/321313498270 Only an hour to go though!