PDA

View Full Version : Silver on Brass

Stirring Moose
05-02-2014, 07:47 PM
On the hunt for any info I can get about attaching silver to brass. What I am planning is to engrave a design into the brass and then inlay it by melting silver into the engraving. Any info on correct fluxes and other materials, plus advice on procedures would be much appreciated. Thanks.

S.M.

ps_bond
05-02-2014, 08:55 PM
There's not a huge difference between the MPs of brass vs the MP of sterling silver - you might be better off either flowing solder in (something like Easyflo as it's a non-hallmarking situation) or going for mechanical inlay. Flux - can't offhand remember, Tenacity might be the one for that temperature bracket.

If you're doing hand engraving, bear in mind that melting an inlay in will fuzz up your line definition significantly. You'll also need to level the surface back too.

Personally, I'd look to tap in an inlay with pure silver.

Dennis
05-02-2014, 09:21 PM
If using silver solder, even borax will work, but you will need to over-fill slightly and sand back, so compromising your detail. As Peter has mentioned you can also inlay grooves with fine-silver wire. If not using solder, they need to be undercut, possibly with inverted cone burrs, or gravers.

As with all branches of jewellery making, your personal learning curve will involve tedious experiments and wasted materials. That's how it is, unless you have been taught at the bench. Welcome to the Forum. Dennis.

Stirring Moose
06-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the advice so far. All interesting stuff. Did make a test piece by flowing normal plumbing solder into a brass engraving. Came out ok but of course the solder won't really take much of a shine. Repeating the excercise with silver solder as suggested could well be a next step. Like the idea of tapping a silver wire into an engraving. Might be looking into that at some point whether the solder idea works or not.

S.M.

Goldsmith
06-02-2014, 10:32 AM
I would also say that the way Peter describes of inlaying fine silver wire will give you the best effect, a method used for centuries by the Japanese on their Tsuba decorations. As you have yet to post any photos I do not know at what level your skills are, but if you are skilled as an engraver, may I suggest you join this other forum; http://www.engraverscafe.com/ as you will find helpful members who can give you advice on what you wish to achieve using the inlay process.

James

Stirring Moose
06-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks again for info. Will check out that other forum and get some pics of my work up here later on. Wouldn't get to excited, I'm well aware I'm still pretty near the bottom of the engraving food chain but I'll bung some stuff up and let you have a gander.

S.M.

Stirring Moose
07-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Have created a photo album on here of some of my stuff. Not all engravings but what I've done is there. My engraving background (such as it is) comes from the custom motorcycle scene so the style is fairly bold with a fair bit of metal on the move! Obviously will need to have a different approach for the inlay type of work but as someone has already mentioned, it's all about the learning curve. Am looking forward to the challenge.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/album.php?albumid=234

S.M.

caroleallen
07-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Your work is amazing Mr Moose. I particularly like the owl.

Patstone
07-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Which part of Devon do you live, nice to have another from this part of the world here.

Tabby66
07-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Amazing work Mr Moose!! Looking forwards to seeing your jewellery work!!

Stirring Moose
07-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Which part of Devon do you live, nice to have another from this part of the world here.

Oh a long long way from you in Exeter... I'm in Crediton!!

S.M.

Stirring Moose
07-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Amazing work Mr Moose!! Looking forwards to seeing your jewellery work!!

Hmm, not sure when jewellery in the strictest sense will be along. Will probably be doing more along similar lines to my existing work i.e. ornaments. More interested in trying different processes at the moment, hence the inlaying. Certainly not saying jewellery will never happen though!

Thanks for the compliments on my work thus far though, both you Tabby66 and everyone else who's been kind enough to comment.

S.M.

LydiaNiz
08-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Hello! (late to the party again). Really interested in seeing your work - and another owl fan here (despite being attacked by a barn owl when small ;-)
Will be interested in your brass findings. I've never had any problem soldering silver to brass as far as melting points go, but have not tried inlaying - good luck :-)

Stirring Moose
06-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Just checking in. Thought I'd better let you know I'm not ignoring you all and your kind advice. Just got very busy with work lately so ornamental experimentation has had to take a back seat for a bit. Fear not, however. Mr. Moose will return!

S.M.

Stirring Moose
18-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Ok, a long overdue due update on this. Have finally found time to make a start. Did a small test engraving in some brass and filled it with silver solder using a simple borax flux. Actually worked pretty well but unfortunately I only had the soft Easysolder to hand, which came out rather too close a match in colour to the brass, so the design was rather lost. Will get hold of some hard silver solder and go again with that.

S.M.

Patstone
18-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Next time give me shout I would have dropped some over, I go to Crediton grocery shopping jut about every week.

ps_bond
18-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Do remember that solder bonds with the parent metal, it won't just sit in the grooves neatly - your edges will get fuzzed.

Stirring Moose
19-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Didn't have too much problem with edge definition, it was just that the colours matched too closely.

Thanks for the offer Patstone but will order something in. Prefer to leave leaning on people's generosity for moments of dire emergency... and I'm sure one will occur in my jewellery making antics soon enough! We must still organise a meet up though (or rather I must organise myself and actually come out of the shed for five minutes!). I'll PM you about in a minute.

S.M.

Stirring Moose
10-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Have come back round to this job. Just been nosing around the various silver solders that Cooksons offer and have found some stuff called enamelling silver. According to the spec this has a very high percentage silver. Might this help with the colour blending problem?

S.M.