PDA

View Full Version : Magazines

Nick martin
05-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone regularly buys any UK jewellery related ( making ) magazines?

I quite like the U.S. Art Jewelry magazine but thought I'd ask before splurging on a subscription.

Cheers,

Nick

lorraineflee
05-02-2014, 07:13 PM
I get Art Jewelry and Jewelry Artist (also from the US) really like both of them. You can get them digitally these days which is a slight saving.

Tabby66
05-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Lapidary Journal from the US which includes some info about gemstones, more traditional jewellery techniques and tools and Craft and Design Magazine from the UK, both have really good online resources too. I have had Retail Jeweller, good for keeping up with mainstream trends.......it depends what your interest is really.....I tend to use more traditional techniques, gemstone and feel for my work, so prefer the Lapidary Journal to Jewelery Artist however, I have subscribed in the past to the latter and always find something of interest, but find it to be more wire work focussed,.....if you go onto the website, you will find that Kalmbach publications have a variety of magazines, beadwork, buttons, clay.......the list goes on.....

If you are looking for a specific area of interest, let us know and someone maybe able to point you in the right direction!!
Tabby xx

Nick martin
06-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Some publications I was unaware of there so thank you, I'll check them out.

Nick

lorraineflee
06-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Lapidary Journal from the US which includes some info about gemstones, more traditional jewellery techniques and tools ..........I tend to use more traditional techniques, gemstone and feel for my work, so prefer the Lapidary Journal to Jewelery Artist
Tabby xx

Jewelry Artist and Lapidary Journal are the same publication, they just added the Jewelry Artist to the title (in bigger letters) a few years ago. Neither Art Jewelry nor Jewelry Artist have a mainly wirework focus.

trialuser
06-02-2014, 01:05 PM
I have had a subscription to art jewellery in the past - the electronic version.
I didn't enjoy reading the electronic format, it's not a simple pdf download but relies on the zinio platform.
If you have suitable software you can fiddle it to 'print as pdf' though.
The worst thing about it is that it's full of adverts for juicy tools which aren't easily obtainable at a sensible cost.
If I see one in whsmiths I buy it but it's a bit hit and miss.

ps_bond
06-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Oddly, I really loathe having the electronic format - be it PDF, Kindle or other platform. But then, I'd still like a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica albeit not at £10k.
I've got a subscription to Metalsmith at the moment; I'm starting to wish I'd not gone for the 2 year one. Too much contemporary, not enough jewellery. Or jewelry given the source.