PDA

View Full Version : Search Me?

Dennis
05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
I have been a member here for a while now and although I glibly suggest to new members to put key words into the search box, top right, I have to admit it does not work well for me.

In fact I often search the categories thread by thread and post by post and still can't find what I want. Does anyone have a less haphazard method, or more to the point, any success at all?

Dennis.

ps_bond
05-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Google... With the added term
site:www.cooksongold.com/forum

Dennis
05-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Thank you, Peter.

Petal
05-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Anything I read that I find useful, or is something I want to remember, I copy and bung in a word document. It works for me and my document is now several hundred pages long and the search facility on word is much better than on forums.

I haven't used the google suggestion by Peter, as I don't use google. Its a shame that the terms don't seem to come up in searches on here, as its such a valuable resource. If I remember who said something I go to their threads, but like you say Dennis you can spend ages and ages looking for something and still get nowhere. #-o

ps_bond
05-02-2014, 04:58 PM
The search engine that's there as part of vBulletin is not the most resource-efficient. It's usual to limit the search terms to avoid 3 or 4 letter words as they can cause the server to slow down - imagine asking it to return every post with the word "the", for example. Google's algorithms & indexing are far better - it's their raison d'etre, after all.