PDA

View Full Version : Less Haste, More Speed.

Dennis
03-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Last night I rushed to get my tumbler started before dinner and, would you believe it, dropped it with all its shot. Luckily there was no soap nor water, but of course little balls everywhere over the floor and no reserve.

So there I was vacuuming with a clean bag inserted and then cleaning up all the strays in the most unlikely corners with a magnetic pick-up tool. I managed to finish my tumbling, but even today there are glinting bits around that have evaded capture. Dennis.

Tabby66
03-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Oooh, Dennis, you have my sympathy, I'm guessing that you'll be finding those darn little balls for a while to come #-o

Wallace
04-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Oh, Dennis, I feel all the pain on that one.

Much like dried rice that has been spilled, and as Jill mentions; there is a possibility of finding them for many months to come.

MeadMoon
04-02-2014, 10:01 AM
One of the reasons I'm not that keen on beading is that all those tiny seed beads get everywhere. I dropped a peridot on the floor at the weekend and, after crawling around with a torch for a while, all I found were three seed beads. I expect that the peridot may turn up when I'm searching for dropped beads :)

caroleallen
04-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I dropped a diamond last week and still haven't found it. Luckily it was only a small one.

Bananen
04-02-2014, 02:48 PM
I dropped a diamond last week and still haven't found it. Luckily it was only a small one.

It's a little bit sad to lost a diamond. How many 0.xx carat ?

surfergirl
04-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Oh no, Dennis! At least you didn't go rolling around on the beads…all cartoon-like with your hands waving in the air trying to steady yourself…phew! Accident averted. Does your shot stash feel decidedly lighter?

A stocking over the vacuum hose allows you to hoover the naughty little balls without them getting eaten ;) oh…works for diamonds too, Carole!

Dennis
04-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Well, the barrel is going again tonight and most of the balls are back in at the sacrifice of a new vacuum bag. Fun and games, Dennis.

Tabby66
04-02-2014, 10:32 PM
A stocking over the vacuum hose allows you to hoover the naughty little balls without them getting eaten ;) oh…works for diamonds too, Carole!

What an excellent idea Indi!! Thank you *-:)

Nick martin
05-02-2014, 08:12 AM
The stocking trick is genius!

Sorry to hear about losing the diamond Carole, that's a pricey loss.

I lost a 5mm Ruby in a big fat fluffy rug I have a few weeks ago so there may be hope yet!

Nick

Petal
05-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your shot flying everywhere Dennis. Its something that happens fairly regularly for me, as I've got some new shot which is really teeny tiny, but I get much better results now than with my previous stuff. I haven't dropped it... yet, but its bound to happen one day.

I'm a regular hooverer of my workshop and use the popsock method on the hoover tube. Just remember to hold onto the end of the popsock, otherwise that goes up the tube too.

surfergirl
05-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Just remember to hold onto the end of the popsock, otherwise that goes up the tube too. Or use an elastic band ;)

Dennis
05-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Well I'm by no means shot of the problem yet. I've done all the hoovering and sweeping with a magnet, but when I'm sitting quietly I still frequently become aware of the glint of metal from the corner of my eye.

Then, sure enough a little ball, often with a needle shaped partner, is sneaking across the floor. They know it's not allowed, and they should be back in their barrell by now, not off to a party. Dennis.

Tabby66
05-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Hahaha, you 3 all made me chuckle :-D

Patstone
06-02-2014, 07:02 AM
Carefully put newspaper under the rug and turn the rug over gently on the paper, carefully roll back the rug so the hairy bit is showing about an inch at a time and you should find it, along with all the grit that the vac doesnt get out, but it worked for me when I dropped a c.z. Carole, try a very strong torch, I have my bench in front of a huge window but the underneath is very dark, and being prone to dropping small stones, rely on a very powerful light, the app you can get on smartphones is blinding too, try that if you havent already.