PDA

View Full Version : how much does a ring stretch...

JonLendrum
30-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Hello everyone,

Hope your all busy and well, I was just wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on how much a silver ring would stretch when hammering texture on it? I know its a broad question as it depends how hard your whacking it etc but was just wondering if anyone has s method of roughly guessing how many sizes it would stretch.... Or is it better to texture the wire unsoldered and then just texture the solder join once soldered together?

Also a another one, I have a dremel 300 and was just reading that the speed variable range is from 10,000 - 30,000 rpm but when I read about polishing speeds people say to go about 3000 rpm! does that mean a dremel is poor to use as its rotating too quickly?

caroleallen
30-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Hi Jon, I would say a ring would stretch about a size, though as you say, it depends on how hard you're whacking. I normally make a ring a couple of sizes smaller. hammer it and then stretch it to the size I want. If you don't have a ring sizer, I would hammer it first and then cut it to the size you want.

I don't use a Dremel much but I think it's OK for polishing.

JonLendrum
31-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Thats great, thanks for your help :)