PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lentil Bead Necklace

silvermagpie
30-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Evening Guys,
i've been trying to make a Lentil Bead Necklace, similar to this one 5619 .
But no matter which type of chain i use, the Bead doesn't seem to sit totally upright and ends up drooping forward slightly.
What can i do to prevent this?
Thanks in advance.

caroleallen
30-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Try drilling the holes above the central line. That should do it.

Didi
30-01-2014, 06:28 PM
You could try enlarging the holes into slits so the bead drops down more. I love lentil beads, made one into a clasp once and it worked a treat.
Didi

mizgeorge
30-01-2014, 06:29 PM
If you're making the lentils, then yes, the lines need to be above the centre line.

If you're using ones you've bought in, which are already drilled, then the quick solution is to pour some glue or resin through one of the holes so it sets at the bottom and gives it a little bit of weight.

Dennis
30-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Actually that applies to almost anything in the jewellery line: ear studs, pendants, brooches: put the post, chain, or pin too near the centre and it will flop forward, unless as George has suggested you can put a weight at the bottom. Dennis.

silvermagpie
30-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Ah, didn't think of weighing it down. #-o Lol
Thanks Guys.

ShinyLauren
30-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Actually that applies to almost anything in the jewellery line: ear studs, pendants, brooches: put the post, chain, or pin too near the centre and it will flop forward, unless as George has suggested you can put a weight at the bottom. Dennis.

I learned this the hard way with some experimental earrings last weekend! I wasn't thinking and just soldered the posts dead centre, as there was a nice little divot there, but now they don't sit right.

Wallace
30-01-2014, 11:06 PM
can you make the divots a feature, anyway up (or down) discs?

Dennis
31-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Another day, another thought: If you were to fill a silver object to add weight, would you fall foul of the hallmarking regulations? Dennis.

SteveLAO
31-01-2014, 10:59 AM
if the item before filling doesn't come up to the weight required for marking, for example if you had a hollow silver ball weighing 2g and you filled it with acrylic to make it up to 8g, then you won't need to have it marked.
If the hollow silver ball weighed 8g to begin with before filling, and then you chose to fill it then you would need to have it hallmarked and the word "filled" would follow the hallmark.

Remember with necklaces though, if the pendant is designed not to be removed from the chain then for hallmarking purposes the chain and the pendant will be treated as one item so the combined weights of chain and pendant will be considered. So if your chain weighs 7g and the non removable bead weighs 1g then you will need it hallmarked. If you choose to fill the bead, then you will get "filled" marked as well as the hallmark.

Dennis
31-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Thank you Steve.