PDA

View Full Version : Website feedback

2753tony
27-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi

I have recently launched my first website and as I'm completely new to web-design would like to hear some feedback , thanks.
website is http://www.antonellofiglia.com

Patstone
27-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi, my only criticism is its a bit too dark. Love the jewellery though.

2753tony
27-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Thank you for your feedback Pat :)

CJ57
27-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I like it, very stylish. I am assuming though that English is perhaps not your first language as the statement on your home page does not read properly with words missing?

surfergirl
27-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Hi Antonello

Personally, I don’t mind the darkness of the website but have found that darker websites seem to date more quickly than lighter coloured backgrounds. It would be good to have your name in a slightly bolder font perhaps, but I am using ie8 to view at the moment so perhaps it’s an issue with the browser.

One thing though, I’m not a fan of the concentric circles – I think it’s a bit distracting. I love your shark chain but felt myself being taken over by the circles!

I guess it ultimately depends on what you are going to be using the website for. As a portfolio or do you hope to sell from it?

I think it would be good to choose a colour scheme to start identifying yourself as a brand….so as your name is in red, perhaps the colour of the box when hovering over an image could be in the same red shade but much less opaque? Same with the menu. It’s great to use colour but I would stick to a select few.

I like how the page slides when clicking on a menu item :) BTW, what are you using to create it?

2753tony
27-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Hi Caroline, that was one of my main concern: spelling mistake, as English is not my first language. perhaps can you point me where are the missed words/mistake? Thanks

trialuser
27-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Hello Tony, I'd like to give some feedback on your website.
I'm afraid it will sound negative and critical, but it is genuinely intended to be helpful and constructive.
I wouldn't normally reply to a thread like this but I like your jewellery and I don't think the website does you justice.
I'll also add that I know nothing about web design and I certainly couldn't do a better job. My comments just reflect how I perceive your website.

There are four pages.

Home:
Love the picture, but on my monitor there is a very distracting radial gradient going on as the background, this looks a bit like an interference pattern and I think detracts from the jewellery item. Love the name in red but I don't think the af logo underneath is in harmony with the typeface of the red writing.
My main criticism however is that there is no real content on this page - that may be the norm for websites though.

About me:
This does not read at all well. It's much better than I could write in Italian though :-), but it does need re doing.
I'd suggest you are a UK based, Italian designer (as opposed to an Italian, UK based designer), just personal opinion.
Perhaps specify which institutions you mean if you are mentioning them. (To me the word institution conjures up children's homes, borstals and psychiatric units. No offence to the forum orphans, bad boys and mad folk)

Portfolio jewellery:
Like the items - but there is no description. Clicking on the goto link opens the home page in a new window. I think it would be usual to be able to click on the image or another link which takes you to more info about the piece. Usually something about the materials used, some pretentious bull about what influenced you to design and make it, perhaps the price and availability if you are selling the stuff.

Contact me:
I dislike web forms so I'm pleased to see you have included an email address. We have no idea where you are in the country though. It may not matter much but the nosey git in me wants to know. You may be in the next street and I can pop round for you to thump me :-)

Feel free to ignore me but if you do nothing else, have a re think of the about me page.

All the best,

Martyn.

Sorry - just noticed two other replies posted while I was typing this!

2753tony
27-01-2014, 02:33 PM
@ Indi: as starting point is just a portfolio, then i may develop further (but without rush, quite happy getting this far).. i assume the circle you refer is the one with AF initials on it? thanks for all your precious feedback :)
P.S.i'm using Wix.com but modified so far from the original template that the page slides is the only original feature.

2753tony
27-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Hi Martin,
constructive criticism is very welcome so thank you for the time taken to write your feedback, i will take in consideration your and other fellow members opinions, having a quick read i especially like the suggestion on the portfolio (writing a description of the item rather than a link directing back to the home page) Thank you!
Tony

caroleallen
27-01-2014, 05:05 PM
I love your jewellery, so that's a positive but I agree with what others have said. I do need a bit of information about the products. Personally, I dislike black websites and they don't make me want to linger for long. I think Notonthehighstreet have done research and found that people are put off by black backgrounds. We are not allowed to put images with black backgrounds on there.

surfergirl
27-01-2014, 05:55 PM
i assume the circle you refer is the one with AF initials on it?

No, I meant the the circles on the background of the page or the radial gradient as referred to by Martin. :)

I echo what Martin has said about your 'about me' text re the institutions and would definitely include the place names instead. I have sent you a PM with a slight rejig of your text correcting the grammar - I hope you don't mind.

Photography is a whole other ball game! If you can get some consistency with the backgrounds used it would definitely pull the site together a bit more.

CJ57
27-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Hi Caroline, that was one of my main concern: spelling mistake, as English is not my first language. perhaps can you point me where are the missed words/mistake? Thanks

Well I still like the black, more so in the gallery, the homepage is perhaps a bit dark.
It is the structure of the sentences and I agree that if you are going to mention training then perhaps you need to say where you trained. Once you have worked out what you want to say then you sort out the grammar and the odd missed word. I was brought up in a household with a non native and it made me smile but it does need to be sorted for this purpose
Some info for each piece would also be good
I wouldn't even know where to start to get to this standard so good for you, it just needs adjustment in places

Nick martin
02-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm with Carol on the black background as I think it looks too much, but my main gripe ( with all respect ) is the gallery page... some of the pics aren't actual photos, and they appear to be 3D renderings which to me is very off-putting.

Nick

Dennis
02-02-2014, 02:31 PM
For me this is just a museum of beautiful jewellery, but if I can't see any way to buy it , or for that matter any prices, I click on the little cross.

medusa
02-02-2014, 03:01 PM
the resolution on the photos is not very good. I don't mind dark backgrounds myself. As Dennis also said, there are no prices and the site feels clunky to navigate. I like the overall look though.

2753tony
09-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks all for the feedback, lot of work to do. Personally I'm not a fan of white background, especially in jewellery, but trying to add splash of white here and there definitely add contrast. Should i add prices even if there is no a shopping cart? i did compare with few websites and some of them leave blank asking to be contacted if interested @Nick, none of the pictures are 3d rendering (Photoshopped yes, perhaps too much sharpening?) i'm just a bad photographer, doing all by myself with a compact camera and positioning the lights is also a struggle so far..

Lucie
09-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Hiya. I run my business completely online but like you, have no shopping cart.
Definitely include prices - there's nothing that irritates customers more than having to phone for a price - Like having to ask for prices in overly expensive galleries and shops. You might just find they don't get in touch at all.
Personally, i can't believe you're photographs are so good considering your set up - I've been fighting with my new camera & new light box for weeks!! The "floating on white" effect is frustratingly difficult to achieve :mad:
Take a look at the Cartier or the Piaget websites - Both very dark & not my taste personally, but they work :)

It might be an idea to add a "how to order" tab at the top alongside your other main links at the top of the page - just to make ordering as accessible as possible, even if you just use it to explain why you have no online shopping cart; add your contact details again & add a few additional product photographs.
It would just make ordering more straight forward.

2753tony
15-02-2014, 01:06 PM
@ Lucie, just like to thanks for your advice, taking it slowly but added the how to order page and price will be added when i finalized them. understand your frustration in using your camera and equipment, at this stageo get a decent shot over 200 pictures are useless, such a time consuming task!