PDA

View Full Version : Making A Hollow Ring From Sheet.

Dennis
23-01-2014, 07:28 PM
This ring was made by me on a short course years back, 'Making a hollow ring from sheet metal'. It is rather demanding, even with instructions, as the pattern has to be designed to fit the stone at the outset. Once the ring is made, a large jump ring is soldered in to bear the stone. Otherwise it would fall right through.

Everyone on the course made it, so if you find it interesting, please feel free to use the idea. Although the instructions are designed for round stones, I was able to fit an oval stone using the mean diameter (length + width divided by two), and making it oval with an oval mandrel, before joining the shank.

The metal I used was 0.9mm, so the stones at the sides poke through a little, but are out of reach of the finger. The height of the collar is optional and the diameter of the shank is the internal diameter.

Posted at the request of Patstone. Dennis.

mizgeorge
23-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Thank you Dennis - you really are a treasure :)

Dennis
23-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Well, I hope you will enjoy having a go at this, George.

ps_bond
24-01-2014, 06:03 AM
At Dennis' request I've pulled the images of the notes over copyright concerns - but I did look for an alternative solution first:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/hollow-ring.htm

Patstone
24-01-2014, 06:52 AM
Thanks Peter, didnt think about copyright. Just didnt want to steal Dennis's design.

theresa
25-01-2014, 03:21 PM
At Dennis' request I've pulled the images of the notes over copyright concerns - but I did look for an alternative solution first:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/hollow-ring.htm

Hollow rings may look simple but seem very complicated in the making. Where would we be without Ganoskin?
Jinks McGrath has a pattern in her rings book too.
Too timid to attempt one just yet!

Didi
28-01-2014, 01:11 PM
That ring looks wonderful Dennis. I've been looking at the instructions in the Paul Revere book for a similar ring. As usual it seems straightforward but I suspect the devil is in the detail and I can't for the worth of me work out how to alter the plans/diagrams to make it the right size!
Didi

Patstone
28-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Good, so it's not just me that is crap at maths.

Didi
28-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Oh Pat, you are SO not alone! It just seems to fox me every time. Im ok with straightforward sums but as soon as you start adding letters into the mix it all gets horribly opaque!

Patstone
28-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Its better to be practical than brainy, as least you could survive. It would be nice to be both but hey ho you cant have it all.

Dennis
28-01-2014, 08:46 PM
That ring looks wonderful Dennis. I've been looking at the instructions in the Paul Revere book for a similar ring. As usual it seems straightforward but I suspect the devil is in the detail and I can't for the worth of me work out how to alter the plans/diagrams to make it the right size!
Didi

It is all about understanding the relationship between radius, diameter and pi. I have been called chauvinist and elitist on this forum in my time, but I shall risk the ire of those members who are better at maths than me, to write a simple explanation for next week. Dennis.