PDA

View Full Version : Counter sunk gem setting.

Sassoon
22-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Hope someone can help, I'm really struggling to set a 3mm gemstone into a sliver ring,once the seat is cut I can't seem to smoothed it over to create a secure fit iv tried using a burnisher rubbing around the edge but with no success. Thanks john.

ps_bond
22-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Is the metal annealed?
What is the stone (or more precisely, how soft is it)?

Wallace
22-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Hi John,

did you mean flush setting?
can you show a picture of where you are at the moment?

Dennis
22-01-2014, 09:37 PM
When I was taught flush setting the class also spent time on making a much heavier setting tool than the burnisher normally suggested. Over the years as my hands have become more feeble, I have been very glad to have it.

I also noted recently, that Anastasia Young in her setting book recommends something similar. It is very good at not making a mess of the surrounding metal.

Dennis.

Patstone
23-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Dennis, I love that ring, how did you make it so that the shank and the bezel are all in one. Was it cut from one piece of sheet, would you mind if I made one similar to it, not to sell, but for myself. I wont make it exactly the same, and I will only make one. It will test my skills too, always reach for something you cant have, if nothing else it stretches you a bit. Lol. I have a screwdriver that I made into a bezel pusher too, but mine is a bit smaller.

Dennis
23-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi Pat, The ring was made on a short course years back, 'Making a hollow ring' from sheet metal. It is rather demanding, even with instructions, as the pattern has to be designed to fit the stone at the outset. Once the ring is made, a large jump ring is soldered in to bear the stone. Otherwise it would fall right through.

Everyone on the course made it, so feel free to use the idea. I shall look up the instructions and post them here tonight. Regards, Dennis.

Patstone
23-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks Dennis, next thing is, am I skilled enough to make one.

Cath Cole
10-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Hi Dennis,
The settings I'm working on aren't quite the same,
but these are the tools i find most useful from the cook sons catalogue
Pusher-Style-1---Bezel-Roller-prcode-999-AJG
Pusher-Style-3---Square-End-prcode-999-AKT

Gemsetterchris
19-02-2014, 11:22 AM
I make all my own pushers, burnishers from old needle file handles & worn out grain tools...
You can make several different shapes/sizes & just get a quick change handle.

Patstone
19-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I was wondering if one of the rocker style pushers would be a good idea, didnt get on particularly well with the square ended one. In the end I made one out of an old wooden handled screwdriver, which works ok, for the time anyway.