PDA

View Full Version : Hall marking

Michael_D
15-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Do I have to hallmark the gold rings I sell? And if I want to how do I go snout it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael_D
15-01-2014, 09:35 PM
That's funny #snout ment about

Dennis
15-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Do I have to hallmark the gold rings I sell? And if I want to how do I go snout it?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmm you are having us on I'm sure, so here's some late night reading for you: http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/welcome-to-the-assay-office/useful-downloads/

Michael_D
16-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Actually I'm am serious, I've been buying blank silver rings with open pin setting and pressing cheap stones into then, and subsequently sold a few. I now want to do that with gold but can only get un marked blanks.
So thanks for the reply.

ps_bond
16-01-2014, 07:27 AM
If you're making them Michael, then yes; if they're all antique/vintage ones then they should be hallmarked already if they're manufactured after 1950 - if they're from before then they can be sold unhallmarked if you can prove the fineness and the manufacture date. Proving the former isn't difficult; the latter slightly more so.

Source - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/210028/hallmark-guidance-notes.pdf (bottom of p2)

ps_bond
16-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Actually I'm am serious, I've been buying blank silver rings with open pin setting and pressing cheap stones into then, and subsequently sold a few. I now want to do that with gold but can only get un marked blanks.

Well, that's less complex then - yes, you need to be registered with an assay office, then send them the pieces for hallmarking.

Michael_D
16-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Ok thanks,
I have been selling vintage which as you say is hallmarked. so now I will be making a few I will have them Hallmarked, which is fine by me. Is it a legal requirement? Or would it be acceptable to use a punch to mark 9ct on ring?

I do of course wish to comply with best practice, but are exploring all the alternatives.

Michael_D
16-01-2014, 08:54 AM
I have now read the links and phoned the Assay office.

Will be revere registering

Thanks all

SteveLAO
16-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Glad to hear you're all sorted out. If you need any further help or advice then just ask :)

Dennis
16-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Hi Michael,

Sorry to have started on the wrong foot, but we do get the occasional mickey taker. It occurred to me that if you have been using silver blanks they are normally only stamped 925 . This is not acceptable and they will still need to be hallmarked. The same holds for gold: '9ct' will not do. Dennis.

caroleallen
16-01-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't think silver rings have to be hallmarked if they're under the weight.

Patstone
16-01-2014, 12:32 PM
It's 7.78 grams for silver.

Dennis
16-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Yes, they are right. You really have to be on your toes on this forum. Here is the list. For these weights and above you can only use the descriptions: white metal, or yellow metal, if not hallmarked.

SteveLAO
16-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Hi Michael, I don't know where you are in the country but if you're down London way on 7th April, you're very welcome to attend our hallmarking information seminar where you will learn all you need to know! I've posted a separate thread under "Shows and events" giving you all the details, and of course you can ask all the questions you like during the course of the day. It's a really informative day out.....

Michael_D
16-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Thank you all

You have all been extremely friendly helpful and informative, in-spite if my typos.

Michael

Michael_D
16-01-2014, 06:04 PM
I've just read the exemption notices.

It states that an item intended to be sent outside the UK does not have to be hallmarked.

Not that it makes any difference as I intend to hallmark, but interesting non the less.

SteveLAO
17-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Yes, our hallmarking act only covers the UK, so items for direct export aren't covered, although saying that our hallmarking system is so widely known worldwide that many companies exporting their stuff get it UK hallmarked anyway. It's renowned as an independent test, unlike in some other countries where the marks are added by the manufacturers.

Michael_D
19-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Well if I'm making bits and pieces then hall marking gives the authenticity anyway I guess.

The London Assay office were very helpful on the phone too.

SteveLAO
20-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Good to hear it. hope we've solved your problems :)