PDA

View Full Version : Solder question and need advise for a newbie...

megaretro
03-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Hello everybody, could someone please advise me if a 9ct gold solder can be used on an 18ct item? I would like to repair a chain that has a link close to breaking and has worn close to breaking.

If 9ct solder would be ok without any problems could I get advise to what grade would be best. I have searched the forum and the net and could not fine answers. I am not jewler but no stranger to a soldering iron and confident with the right tools I could do the repair.

I am not too concerned about a perfect invisible repair, just wish to secure the weak link.

Many thanks and look forward to some advise :)

ps_bond
03-01-2014, 01:26 PM
The immediate thing that stands out is this - there's no way you're going to get 9k solder to melt with even the snazziest Metcal. Despite it being called solder, it's really a brazing process.

Dennis
03-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Yes, take heed.

You will need a mini, torch, or a chef's torch if you have one that can be adjusted to a fine flame.

Something to solder on like the back of a wall tile. Also some tweezers.

Suitable flux, such as Auflux.

You can use Easy 9ct solder in wire or panels for cheapness, but your chain will loose in value.

Lastly some dilute sulphuric acid (found in some drain cleaners) or safety pickle, such as hot alum solution to clean it afterwaerds.

As you will see, doing a one off job yourself will be less satisfactory and dearer than getting a local independent jeweller to do it for you. Regards, Dennis.

megaretro
03-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I am aware that I will need and already have a torch. I will be getting some flux, pickle and solder shortly.
I only metioned the soldering to indicate I am familiar with using tools. I wasnt going to use it on the chain :)
My only concern really is using a 9ct solder on my 18ct chain, Thanks for your advise regarding loss in value but
I will never sell the chain for personal reasons.
Again, thanks for the advise guys, just one last question regarding solder would the end result of using easy and medium as in strength. I guess medium would result in a stronger repair but higher melting point when soldering, is that correct?

Dennis
03-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Yes, the difference in strength would not be discernible in normal use, but the risk of melting a link is reduced by using solder which melts at a lower temperature. Dennis.

Truffle & Podge
03-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Personally speaking if you have never soldered precious metal before i definately would not start by soldering a chain the risk of overheating and melting surrounding links is very high. It's kinda like learning to ice skate by performing a triple toe loop straight from the off. Also solders behave very differently, easy melts at lower temps but tends to ball very easily, medium (i have never used but have been told) is really difficult to flow and hard flows beautifully but requires a higher temp. I would think carefully and definately have a practice before attempting this especially as it sounds as if its very emotionally valuable.

megaretro
03-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Tash, I get what you are saying and it makes sense. I will get a quote before moving forward or at least practice on something else to start. There is no rush for the repair to be done and at least I am now a little wiser thanks to the advice received there in the forum and the thread maybe of use to others who are in the same situation as I find myself. Thanks again guys ;-)