PDA

View Full Version : Corian laps - UK supplier ?

kreffell
30-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Hello,

I am enjoying faceting marbles with my Facetron, but would like to start using corian laps and voodoo polish for quartz - just wondered if anyone knows of a supplier for corian laps in the UK or if anyone would like to share a parcel from the USA.

Regards,
Keith

ps_bond
30-12-2013, 09:49 AM
With the exception of Manchester Minerals, are there *any* faceting suppliers in the UK? There's a fair few people working Corian and the equivalents though - whether it would be cost-effective to get them with the level of surface finish needed for laps I don't know. Do you know if Corian laps are machined or cast?

I occasionally use old CDs with diamond paste for polishing gravers on a powerhone, no idea if that's transferable to your application.

Where did you buy the Facetron?

kreffell
30-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Hello Peter,

Jim Finlayson is the contact in the UK for http://www.facetron.com/ - a 2 hour demo was kindly arranged when I picked the machine up.

Jim is the membership secretary at www.ukfcg.org

Would like to see Cooksons get involved with faceting supplies as well.

ps_bond
30-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Uh oh, I probably shouldn't have asked... :D
Thank you (I think!).

josef1
30-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Corian can be milled, its often used as kitchen counter top and ground flat like granite I think.

ps_bond
30-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Yup, it's not great stuff to cut, but it is doable. Whether it'd be worth surface grinding, I don't know. Possibly an application for waterjet cutting to get the profile though?