PDA

View Full Version : Silver bells

caroleallen
28-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Anyone know how to make small silver bells - the type that's used for baby rattles?

Goldsmith
28-12-2013, 04:50 PM
I have made them in the past Carole, when restoring antique silver baby rattles. Each bell was made from 2 silver discs, domed in a block to make half spheres, then I made a half round ring shape wire that fitted around the circumference of one hemisphere, marked a line around the centre of the inner flat of this ring shape D wire with dividers, used a graver point to raise a few securing points on this central line, sat the hemispher inside and soldered it in place. Then I soldered a ring at the dome centre. The other hemisphere dome had two holes drilled off centre of the dome and then I pierced a slot from one hole to the other across the dome centre. I melted a ball of silver, placed it in the wired together hemispheres and soldered the ball bell together. All this sounds more complicated than it was. I hope it makes sense and is helpful.
This photo shows what I mean about using a graver to raise points around a scribed line to hold the hemisphere centrally in place while soldering it inside the D shaped ring.

James

caroleallen
28-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks very much James. What did you put inside to make it rattle?

Dennis
28-12-2013, 06:07 PM
A few bells among many would not notice if they did not ring. As far as I know, bells need to be work hardened to actually ring, so it seems that soldering would destroy that.

I am wondering whether you would need to use cold connections, such as rubbing the edges over, after doming. On the bells I have, even the suspending ring is made from balled wire passed through a hole and then formed. Dennis.

Goldsmith
28-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks very much James. What did you put inside to make it rattle?

We just melted wire into balls for inside. And as to what Dennis says, I have made hundreds of silver bells for many Torah Crowns in the past and have soldered rings on the bell shaped silver spinnings,thus annealing them, without effecting their ringing tones much. Babies rattles have to be near indistructable for safety sake, so no loose wiring and all links soldered.

James

James

caroleallen
28-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Next question. How many balls is the requisite number?

Goldsmith
28-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I only used one ball of about 3mm. diameter in each 15mm. diameter bell. These were usually antique rattles like the one in the photo with coral or ivory chewing ends, probably not recommended in these days of plastics.

James

Dennis
28-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Well, if James says it works, then I'd like to have a go at one of those bells too. I hope you will show us your results Carole. Regards, Dennis.

caroleallen
28-12-2013, 08:58 PM
It's definitely on my to do list in the new year Dennis. Look forward to seeing yours. Mine will be quite simple I think.

CJ57
28-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Modern ones do look as if they are cold connected with the edges folded over but I suppose they are machine made
http://www.amazon.co.uk/K-Play-UC015-Traditional-Rattle-Bells/dp/B000EGFRSU