PDA

View Full Version : Foredom or dremel?

Truffle & Podge
07-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm looking at getting a pendant motor with foot pedal, have seen the dremel fortiflex 9100-21 and the foredom kit from cousins that has the quick release handpiece just wondering what you guys would suggest and if you have seen any bargains anywhere. There are quite a few generic-y brands around but i want something that is worth the money and to be fair i really don't have a clue which brands are good. Any advice you could give me would be really apperciated i can't afford to make a big mistake.
Thanks in advance you lovely people
:D
x

medusa
07-12-2013, 04:09 PM
I love my Foredom. like proper I'd-marry-it-if-I-could love.

josef1
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
I like my foredom,I use a number 30 hand piece, it has a chuck so you an fit different size shafts in it.

ps_bond
07-12-2013, 05:20 PM
James will possibly point out that there are other brands of flexshaft besides Foredom. I might make some sarky comment about being careful about your choice of supplier if, god forbid, you need any after-sales service from them.

It depends what you want from it, but it may be worth looking at a micromotor instead - they're limited in that they invariably only take 2.35mm shanks (quick change), but the only time I use my flexshaft instead of my micromotor now is to get around that. Not often though. For everything else - drilling, carving, polishing - I use the micromotor.

Dennis
07-12-2013, 06:08 PM
I risk boring you with repetition, but micromotors are way more expensive than flex-shafts. If you find a 'bargain', it is liable to lack power, so that it drives you mad by hesitating and stopping when you press on it.

The problem with the Foredom hand piece, as Peter has hinted, is adjusting it when it looses its grip. Also some handpieces have a quick release for burrs and others need a spanner. I have been on courses where they offered these very basic handpieces and you tended to try and persevere with the same burr, rather than fuff around to change it.

If at all possible try before you buy. It's a life changing investment and worth the train fare to visit a supplier. Dennis.

ps_bond
07-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I risk boring you with repetition, but micromotors are way more expensive than flex-shafts.

Not at all boring! It really has to boil down to what you're trying to do with it. With what I'm doing now, there's really no way I want to try to go back to the flexshaft for everything, it's just too unwieldy.

However... I'm starting to feel the Foredom lacks enough torque for what I'm trying to do, and using a significantly more expensive micromotor earlier this year has probably spoiled me.

caroleallen
07-12-2013, 07:01 PM
As a workhorse, I like my Milbro. I was really worried this morning as my quick release was seizing up and I thought after daily use for the past 15 years I was going to have to replace it. It's been getting a lot of hammering over the last few weeks. A quick squirt with the WD40 and it's fine again - phew.!

Goldsmith
07-12-2013, 07:10 PM
I have two pendant drills that have served me well for the past 30 years but I don't think they are available these days, one is a Seco and the other is a Renda, the Seco is similar to the Milbro model available at Cookson; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Milbro-Pendant-Drill-With-Fixed-Hand-Piece-18000-Rpm-Plastic-Footcontrol--Hanger-No-Base-Plate.-prcode-999-87A
The Renda has a slipjoint shaft and I have two Faro heads for it, a quick release handpiece like this; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Faro-Quick-Release-Hand-Piece-prcode-999-AVW?p=gs&kpid=18283950120&gclid=CMDappXnnrsCFZLKtAodV3kATg
and I also have a Faro hammerhead piece.
I have no experience of Foredom or Dremel units.

James

trialuser
07-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Just a note - I have a foredom, less than 18 months of once a week use, the foot pedal speed controller stopped working properly.
It jumps from 0 to 70% without the slow start up.
I didn't bother contacting the supplier as it was the 'c' word!
An emal to foredom in the US was answered in less than 24 hours resulting in them sending a replacement internal component foc and a detailed .pdf explaining how to change it.
10/10 for Foredom service.
I'd like a micromotor though but can't justify the cost.

Anna Wales
07-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Glad you posted this Tasha as it's on my New Year shopping list too. I have an old Exchange Findings pendant motor that's still working well even though it was bought in the 80's but I could do with a 2nd one as at times I need some help. I'd thought of a Dremel but having seen other ideas and recommendations, that's off the list. Mine tightens with a spanner and I do like that even though it's probably a bit old-fashioned.I'll keep reading up :)

Truffle & Podge
07-12-2013, 08:54 PM
I have two pendant drills that have served me well for the past 30 years but I don't think they are available these days, one is a Seco and the other is a Renda, the Seco is similar to the Milbro model available at Cookson; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Milbro-Pendant-Drill-With-Fixed-Hand-Piece-18000-Rpm-Plastic-Footcontrol--Hanger-No-Base-Plate.-prcode-999-87A
The Renda has a slipjoint shaft and I have two Faro heads for it, a quick release handpiece like this; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Faro-Quick-Release-Hand-Piece-prcode-999-AVW?p=gs&kpid=18283950120&gclid=CMDappXnnrsCFZLKtAodV3kATg
and I also have a Faro hammerhead piece.
I have no experience of Foredom or Dremel units.

James

yeeouch! over £400 no way i can stretch to that! I take it Milbro is a pretty good brand then? Like i said when it comes to brands i really don't have a clue as i've never had the opportunity to use this kind of equipment in a university or proper workshop etc....floundering a bit now

Truffle & Podge
07-12-2013, 08:57 PM
James will possibly point out that there are other brands of flexshaft besides Foredom. I might make some sarky comment about being careful about your choice of supplier if, god forbid, you need any after-sales service from them.

It depends what you want from it, but it may be worth looking at a micromotor instead - they're limited in that they invariably only take 2.35mm shanks (quick change), but the only time I use my flexshaft instead of my micromotor now is to get around that. Not often though. For everything else - drilling, carving, polishing - I use the micromotor.

What kind of thing am i looking at for a micro motor? are the dental ones any good? Again really don't have a clue, I have a cheap pendant with a flexishaft at the moment that i use for drilling, sanding and polishing and i wanted one i could use with a foot pedal as it annoys me to have to keep switching it on and off and adjusting the speed on the body. I really want a quick release type as am also sick of having to insert the little key and undo the collet nut with a spanner............takes ages!

Dennis
07-12-2013, 10:18 PM
What kind of thing am i looking at for a micro motor? are the dental ones any good?

Dentists use micromotors, but they are integral to their dental units and are of no interest to jewellers. Dental technicians have lone standing micromotors, with either knee or foot control. They are very dependant on their machines for grinding and drilling acrylic, ceramic and metals, so they must have the power and endurance to be in continual use.

They will also have a back up and a rapid repair agency. The D-word (Dreml) would never pass their lips.

An entry model micromotor will cost around £450, plus VAT, but repairers offer recycled and reconditioned ones for less.

I must add that a splendidly equipped dental laboratory might also have an ultra high speed air turbine, which is very much faster. It runs on compressed air and requires plumbed water for lubrication of the burrs. The burrs used are quite small and either diamond coated, or tipped with tungsten carbide heads. Metals and ceramics offer little resistance and the handpiece can be held like a pen with no strain to the fingers. The burrs are held in by friction and can be removed by a tool with a spike. Dennis.

CJ57
07-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Hi All, I have a question :) all my polishing needs are met by my Dustmaster
http://www.hswalsh.com/product/maxi-dustmaster-tp46
And I bought a Proxxon bench drill a year ago after years of drilling by hand. I bought a basic foot pedal pendant from a friend a few years back but don't think it has enough welly to do anything I can't already do with the tools and equipment I have and I never use it so..... What benefit would there be for me to buy a Foredom or similar?

Dennis
08-12-2013, 05:37 AM
I bought a basic foot pedal pendant from a friend a few years back but don't think it has enough welly to do anything I can't already do with the tools and equipment I have and I never use it so..... What benefit would there be for me to buy a Foredom or similar?

If you really have a foot operated flexshaft, Caroline then hold onto it, because it could become antique in your lifetime. If it is an electric one with a foot control, but little torque and you don't feel the need to upgrade it, then don't bother because it will not be a meaningful piece of equipment for you.

Personally, because I did not grow up with a tradition of filing and sanding, being deprived of my micromotor, would be like having my right arm cut off. Despite also having a Proxxon pillar drill, I use it for grinding with stones, sanding with drums and drilling with mounted drills, for polishing with radial disks and polishing with rubber wheels and small mops. I also use it with separating disks. I should be thoroughly deprived if I did not have it for adjusting and finishing settings.

I am so reliant on it that I also have a stand by. Below are some of my gadgets for my machine.

Dennis
08-12-2013, 05:40 AM
I can only post five pictures at a time, so here are some more:

Goldsmith
08-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I would add that if you are intending to have a career in making metalwork, then my advice is to always buy the best tools and equipment that you can afford, as it will more than pay for itself in the end.
If you are self employed then all tool purchase costs are tax deductable anyway, so why give money to the taxman when you can have the best tools.

James

CJ57
08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
My goodness Dennis your pictures make me think that I must be missing out on something! I got some of these grinding tools with the flexishaft but always file and never grind. I would like to tackle the problem of setting stones and like others on here have an awful problem of rubbing over and adjusting settings and see that a Foredom would be useful for that or I just need bigger biceps! I suppose you don't miss something you've never had so you are probably right and I don't need one.
As you can see James I like to buy the best equipment when I can. The Dustmaster was bought for 1/2 the price of Walshes, that came as a shock seeing how much they cost now, after 20 years of the 1/2hp motor I'd had since 1979 and I was badly needing dust extraction for health reasons. I love the big beast, I like the power behind a polisher like that even if it is abit noisy. I bought a Durston combi 100 rolling mill at the same time as the proxxon and I love them both after making do for so many years. The first thing I bought after joining the other forum was a Swanstrom disc cutter so I blame you all for my spending spree :)
I still have all the tools I bought when I left college, I was given a £100 travelling scholarship for my thesis on Art Nouveau jewellery and went down to Coopers in London and bought my polisher etc I still have the receipt! I inherited my dads and a friend of his who was a tool maker gave me all of his as well. I must have been the only girl who was given micrometers and gauges, pliers and files

This has been such a horrible year for me healthwise have been chronically ill now for 30 years and I'm having a bit of a relapse so I look sadly at my workshop and my lovely equipment sitting idle, lots of ideas rolling round in my head and not getting made. And still thinking about buying tools ! Ho hum

Dennis
08-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Well just keep on talking to us, Caroline. I'm sure you will have plenty to contribute. And get well soon.

Maybe you could do with a new flexshaft and a hammer handpiece for setting after all. Dennis.

CJ57
08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks Dennis , hoping it will pass.

Is that you telling me to spend money, I'm easily led astray ! I've looking at that lovely shiny new Durston planishing set that cookies are stocking and trying to work out the cost per stake which I'm short of and whether I could justify it . I love whacking things with hammers and forming new shapes but is that enough of an excuse?? Caroline

ps_bond
08-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Ah. I've seen that too; I need to work out if the stakes are quite large enough for my needs. But I can't buy any until I've forged the mokume billets down to sheet anyway...

CJ57
08-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Ah. I've seen that too; I need to work out if the stakes are quite large enough for my needs. But I can't buy any until I've forged the mokume billets down to sheet anyway...

It looks really useful but even the Durston website doesn't have any dimensions. I had to phone them about the rolling mill and the MD phoned me back from a trade fair in Germany, a really nice helpful man, wish I hadn't lost his private email address !

caroleallen
08-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Well you'll need to be really well to do all that whacking Caroline! Really hope the new year brings you better health.

CJ57
08-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Well you'll need to be really well to do all that whacking Caroline! Really hope the new year brings you better health.
Thanks Carole :) That would be nice. As long as I can get well enough to produce some new work before May although there is a load of stuff in a tray full of good intentions that just needs to be put together in some way so all is not lost I suppose. Hope that Christmas has gone well for you and everyone else this year

Truffle & Podge
11-12-2013, 03:07 AM
would love to be able to get the best equipment but being completely honest with you i'm on disability for a pretty severe mental health problem. I love doing silversmithing as a therapy but really don't think any of my stuff is good enough to sell, i don't have the room in my flat to use my fashion degree ( i adore sewing ) and i fell into smithing by a happy accident. We struggle to live day to day so every purchase has to be totally considered even if it's a neccesity. I'm lucky to have parents and inlaws who are prepared to support anything that helps me get well. (believe it or not even a train fare to a supplier can end up beyond reach, especially as i have agrophobia on top of everything else) This is why i am so grateful for any help or advice i can get. Just hoping beyond hope that one day my life will mean something.
Thank you guys
X

caroleallen
11-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Tasha, I don't agree that your stuff isn't good enough to sell. Your tiaras are very sweet and there may be a local bridal shop who you could speak to.

It's amazing how many people find making jewellery therapeutic and there are lots of people on this forum who also have mental health issues, so you're in good company. Sending you every good wish for good health very soon and please keep asking for help. I've found this forum has been hugely helpful. xx

ps_bond
11-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Your tiaras are very sweet and there may be a local bridal shop who you could speak to.

Agreed.

It's amazing how many people find making jewellery therapeutic and there are lots of people on this forum who also have mental health issues, so you're in good company.

Remembering it's a continuum, not an absolute. It's also anything that isn't slap-bang in the middle of the bell curve.

medusa
11-12-2013, 11:54 AM
would love to be able to get the best equipment but being completely honest with you i'm on disability for a pretty severe mental health problem. I love doing silversmithing as a therapy but really don't think any of my stuff is good enough to sell, i don't have the room in my flat to use my fashion degree ( i adore sewing ) and i fell into smithing by a happy accident. We struggle to live day to day so every purchase has to be totally considered even if it's a neccesity. I'm lucky to have parents and inlaws who are prepared to support anything that helps me get well. (believe it or not even a train fare to a supplier can end up beyond reach, especially as i have agrophobia on top of everything else) This is why i am so grateful for any help or advice i can get. Just hoping beyond hope that one day my life will mean something.
Thank you guys
X

I'm surprised you don't think your stuff is good enough to sell, Tasha. I would have thought that you would be doing a roaring trade in the tiaras especially as they are so different and beautifully put together. Do you have an Etsy shop yet? That might be worth exploring as a way to bring in some income.

I do hear you on the money front and whilst I agree with James on the principle of 'buy cheap, buy twice', when we're starting out we have to sometimes buy cheap and keep our fingers crossed! For the last three years every penny of profit I've made has gone back into buying tools and silver stock (when the prices plummeted!). I'm now almost fully kitted up as far as tools go, so hope to spend the next couple of years learning more and practising on the job and then maybe, maybe I'll eventually start to make enough to live (very frugally) on.