PDA

View Full Version : Assembling jewellery

Truffle & Podge
05-12-2013, 09:55 PM
If i buy 925 marked resin casings which i then link together to create a bracelet that weighs over the 7.78 grm regulation do i still need to get it hallmarked even if i dont add any more silver to it?

Dennis
05-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Well the 925 is not a hallmark Tasha, it is just the manufacturer's indication that it is sterling silver. If it is a dicy maker it could even be an untrue claim. To sell it as silver, you still have to have it hallmarked.

Regards, Dennis.

mizgeorge
05-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes you do. A 925 stamp means absolutely nothing - anyone can use one, but as soon as you connect multiple pieces in a way that cannot be separated without tools it becomes a single piece and must be hallmarked if it's over the weight limit.

Sadly, the flagrant abuse of the 925 mark by Chinese sellers (who proudly announce that their plated items are good enough to fool many assay tests) has devalued it to the point of it being almost worthless on its own.

Truffle & Podge
05-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys i knew i was right, just got an absolute mouthful because i told someone this was the law but hey ho you can lead a horse etc............

pearlescence
06-12-2013, 07:43 AM
You can report non-compliant sellers to Trading Standards - or HMRC since they probably won't be declaring their selling either (it's just a hobby)

Keia
09-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Agree with Pearlescence - They'd need to be registered as self employed even if it is just a hobby, if they sell to the public they must register this plus have insurance too! Hobby or not, doesn't mean a thing to HMRC.
If they're dealing with sterling silver, they need to educate themselves on the law or find themselves very, very quickly on the wrong side of it.xx

Truffle & Podge
11-12-2013, 03:27 AM
was told that i was pretentious for offering the advice and that did i really think trading standards would be bothered with such a small business. Tbh broke my heart as this was family and i only wanted to look out for their well being. Everything got slung at me from my mental health to the fact that i haven't sold anything so how could i possibly know. It's totally ripped me to shreds, i hate confrontation and to be attacked so personally for what was only mean't to be a heads up hurts like hell

ps_bond
11-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Hmm. Did someone know they were in the wrong and lash out accordingly? Family or not, if they behaved like that towards you they deserve everything they get.
There's some fairly detailed info on the AOL site (and, I'm assuming, the other assay offices - only picking on AOL cos I'm registered there) that would educate them if they genuinely don't believe it, but the suggestion that they're too small to be bothered with makes me inclined to think they know it and reckon they can get away with it...

Sympathies, Tash - it's never easy.

CJ57
11-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Aw Tash, families can be crueller than strangers sometimes because they think it's ok to be mean, I had a sister like that. You were right to tell them but now I expect they are big enough and maybe stupid enough to take the consequences. In the end it's all about personal responsibility and you have done your best. Don't let the b.....s get you down.
I think you were the first person to welcome me to the forum and that meant a lot :)[[]]