PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone.

Animalnutty
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Hiya,

I've just joined the forum and asked for advice before introducing myself, which seems a little on the rude side, so trying to rectify that, so hello to all potential new advice givers :) :~:

I am completely self taught, mostly though experimentation but reading too. I love making pieces, and seeing something through from an idea that I get while wondering on a walk and seeing something or while sitting half asleep and an idea pops into me head, to a finished piece in reality.

I ended up getting into it after doing designs for friends and getting pieces made and not being happy with the quality of the qualified, spent four years at uni and working, jeweller. I remember quite clearly thinking I am sure I could do a better job, and a year later was doing so and started selling at craft fairs. That is rather more to do with me being a determined git than any kind of great ablity!

I sold at craft fairs and in a few galleries for about 5 years and then ended up taking a break while doing a degree in another subject. That took over for about 5/6 years and then something happened that got me back into it with a vengeance. My range is all keepsake type pieces, all have special meanings to the wearer of the piece and I just love doing something that is part of someone elses story and is cherished by them. I get really excited about each piece and often, being a bit of a sentimental softy, get very emotional about the work, but love it so much.

Is lovely to have found somewhere where am sure others feel the same about their work and have so much experience and skill.

Really looking forward to reading through the forum.

Take care,

Kare

CJ57
03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Hi Kare
It seems to be quiet here everyone must be busy so Hi from me. I'm fairly new to this forum but not to making jewellery but there is always something to learn

caroleallen
04-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi Kare. Welcome to the forum. A lot of us have come to jewellery through the same route as you. I think there's a lot to be said for learning on the job.

lorraineflee
04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Hi Kare, welcome from me too!!

Tabby66
04-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi Kare, lovely to have you join us....welcome!! xx

Animalnutty
04-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm such a muppet - I missed the N off my name, I shall probably be Kare on here forever more now :-D Thanks very much for the welcome. Probably joined at the worst time for people to be around - it's a crazy busy time for commissions and expect everyone is in the same boat! I still have people wanting orders for Christmas that I can't manage (I'm slow) and need to go and do some more work before bed time. Hope to learn and share lots :-)

Patstone
05-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Welcome, is it Kare - n, or Knare, whichever, welcome. Lol.

MeadMoon
05-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Hi Karen. Welcome!

Animalnutty
05-12-2013, 03:45 PM
:-D I quite like Knare but no, it's boring old Karen. Thanks, I'm a little bit over excited having been reading through bits and pieces - It's like years of being entirely on my own and suddenly being surrounded by others who will get as excited about 'bits of metal' and hand tools as me, like being a kid in a sweet shop :-)

I just read your comment Caroleallen - that's interesting, did you just mean the being self taught part, or that you had originaly has some work made and weren't satisfied with results. Either way, personally I am very glad I did and while I am sure I have taken much longer to learn certain things and reading through am certainly unaware of 'tricks of the trade' and tools that would have made my life easier. I am glad it happened as it did or I possibly would never have ended up doing what I am :-) I do wish I could afford some courses though, but eually am very happy to kee learning by trial and error, and I am sure, self taught or otherwise, there is always more to learn :-)

Goldsmith
05-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome from me also Karen, I am of the older generation but have picked up quite a bit of knowledge in my time and I enjoy sharing any tips that I can.
I look forward to seeing what you are making.

Cheers, James

Patstone
05-12-2013, 04:35 PM
What James didn't tell you is that he was an apprentice in somewhere famous from the ripe old age of 15, so there isnt much he doesn't know about working in precious metals and stone setting. Have a look at his albums.

Animalnutty
05-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Thank you James, that's so lovely of you, I expect my work is by the sounds of it not going to be that special to someone with you expertise, but very lovely that you said that. I will just need to work up courage to show a few pieces off :-) I am very lucky that I seem to have found a little market and to be busy with it, so am very thankful for that and the more work I do, hopefully the better my skill gets and can't wait to see other peoples work. Though will absolutely always resect other work is just that. Thanks Patstone, I will go and have a peek if that is OK :-)

Wallace
05-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Hi Karen,
Welcome to the forum from me too.

I can honestly say I fall into that category behind James, and many others. James' achievements are so fantastic and we have a wonderful opportunity to be part of a forum where a masterful craftsman and many experienced crafts peeps support anyone, regardless of skill.

As you are selling and finding customers, someone sees your creativity with enough conviction. I am sure your work is brilliant. Looking forward to seeing some of it.

Truffle & Podge
05-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Hi from me :welcome:

Animalnutty
06-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks Wallace, I feel very lucky that people are appreciating my work :) I think it's as much that I have found a bit of a niche as much as anything, but am as happy as a pig in muck when people commission something and then when get the finished piece, are delighted and send a lovely email. I know more than ever that I have sooo much to learn though, yay :)

I was having a peek on the forum last night at some peoples work and so many beautiful pieces and so much talent on here :<3:

Thanks Tasha :)