PDA

View Full Version : Gas torches for soldering

Goldsmith
30-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I was wondering why a method of soldering that was used in trade workshops back in the 1960-70s is no longer available or promoted.
These types of mouth blown torches; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Mouth-Blown-Torch-For-Bottled-Gas-prcode-999-CB2 , were adapted so that they could be powered by a small electric blower fan unit. Before our workshop converted to Oxy/gas torches, we all had these blower units under our benches, they were very quiet and effective for benchwork annealings and solderings. Even after we had converted most of the older craftsmen continued using their old torches with the blowers attached.
I tried looking online for one of these blowers without success, all that seems to be available is air compressors.

James

Dennis
30-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Yes and the larger torches once worked on coal gas with air delivered by foot bellows. That gave out plenty of heat, particularly for melting and casting, so the change to natural gas was rather disappointing. Dennis

Wallace
01-12-2013, 02:22 PM
do you have any photos, James?

mizgeorge
01-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Japanese lampworking torches use a similar system - their Satake glass is much softer than most of the soda lime glass used in Europe and the US, so needs less heat, but I wonder if their air pump might not do the job?

http://www.artcoinc.com/airpump.php

I've wondered in the past if they might not be a good alternative for jewellery torches.

Goldsmith
01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
do you have any photos, James?

I don't have any photos of our old workshop blower set ups as the blowers were hidden away under the benches, but a few years back I bought a second hand Flamefast air blowerthat fits under a bench, to supply air to a bench torch. This is the type of set up that Flamefast make and sell. The air blower is mounted underneath the twin benches and all you need is a gas and electricity supply. See; http://flamefast.co.uk/heat-treatment-equipment/em221-em222-jewellery-benches/

James

CJ57
01-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Gosh you are taking me back James. When I first started at college the old building had mouth blown air and gas which was an interesting way to learn. When we moved in to the new building we had been modernised and there was just gas on tap, can't say it wasn't easier!

Goldsmith
01-12-2013, 03:50 PM
This was the workshop where I started my career Caroline, all of the bench torches were coal gas fired and we had mouth blown torches and blowpipes with Birmingham sidelights.

The first shows me at the far end in 1965 as an apprentice.
The second photo shows my master using his blowpipe on a flame device what is called a Birmingham sidelight.

James

CJ57
01-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Thank you for those James, the craftsmen at work.It was 1975 when is started. Would I be right in saying that what I would have been taught to use would be a blowpipe with a handheld torch similar to what we went on to use but the puff was provided by me? Were also taught to make tubing, draw wire, traditional skills really, my head of Dept was and old fashioned silversmith with a fag hanging continually out the corner of his mouth! Having produced this big necklace for my Dip Show that was constructed completely in tubing and all riveted together I was rather miffed when I left college to find that you could buy it ready made!!

Goldsmith
01-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Thank you for those James, the craftsmen at work.It was 1975 when is started. Would I be right in saying that what I would have been taught to use would be a blowpipe with a handheld torch similar to what we went on to use but the puff was provided by me? Were also taught to make tubing, draw wire, traditional skills really, my head of Dept was and old fashioned silversmith with a fag hanging continually out the corner of his mouth! Having produced this big necklace for my Dip Show that was constructed completely in tubing and all riveted together I was rather miffed when I left college to find that you could buy it ready made!!

Yes Caroline and Cookson still sell a newer version of those old mouth blown blowtorches, see; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Mouth-Blown-Torch-For-Bottled-Gas-prcode-999-CB2

James

CJ57
01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
That's the one. Are there benefits to using one of those, although don't have the puff now?

Wallace
01-12-2013, 06:12 PM
thanks for sharing those brilliant pictures, James.

I have experienced, albeit briefly, the mouth blow torch at West Dean College. It was a fab bit of kit, all you needed was puff, technique and good vision! All of which, I imagine take time to learn. I was glad to return to what I have become accustomed to, although in a power cut, the mouth blow torch means work can continue.

thanks again

:D

Dennis
01-12-2013, 06:48 PM
We still have one brazing hearth with those and foot bellows at the college I attend part time, but it's too easy to blow the flame out.

Dennis.