PDA

View Full Version : Assay question for Steve LAO

pearlescence
24-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Hi Steve

I made a fused ring with scraps of vermeil. I has turned out a sort of blush yellow, very subtle but very pretty. There's clearly enough gold in it to affect the colour Can it be marked? and if so as what? Since the 925 has been mixed with gold it might not attain 925 any more and the gold obviouisly isn't enough to mark...
I suppose it is a form of electrum but you don't have a mark for that.
Any suggestions - if not for this one then for the future. I'll be doing this some more since I really like the look
thanks
(ps I'm with London!)

SteveLAO
25-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Hi there....I think you've sent this question in twice!! I've replied to this :)

SteveLAO
25-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi there, vermeil is just a fancy name for gold plated silver so I would be surprised if there were sufficient "gold" for it to go below the 925 requirement. However, the only way to know for sure is to send a piece in and have it assayed. May I suggest before you make a load of stuff with this metal though, that you send one piece in first to make sure? It would be a shame if it did fail and you'd made a whole range! It really depends I guess on how much silver there was in the 925 part to begin with. If it was a borderline pass, then that little bit of gold may make it a borderline fail..do you see what I mean?