PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the Durston Combination Ring Stretcher?

sue cybersilver
22-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask anyone who owns the Durston Combination Ring Stretcher, which Cookson's sells, if they are a good buy. I am desperate for a ring stretcher to make ring sizing quicker and easier, but not sure which is the best. Any reviews would be much appreciated.
Thank you, Sue XX

Dennis
22-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask anyone who owns the Durston Combination Ring Stretcher, which Cookson's sells, if they are a good buy. I am desperate for a ring stretcher to make ring sizing quicker and easier, but not sure which is the best. Any reviews would be much appreciated.
Thank you, Sue XX

Any basic upright ring stretcher with a handle/lever, will do the job. The only precautions you need to take, all in the short time while using it, will be to rotate the ring once ir twice, so that it does not end up faceted and to turn it over at least once, so that it is not tapered.

This one has the added function of incorporating a ring bender, but only a review by an owner will tell you whether it works well. Alternatively you could buy a less expensive tool and add a separate ring bender as only discussed here last week: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5393&highlight=Ring+pliers

Dennis.

mizgeorge
22-11-2013, 10:04 PM
I have the 999 AHX - but was lucky enough to get it second hand - I wouldn't have paid that much myself! I actually think the Indian version for less than half the price from Cousins is probably a very good bet if you can bear to shop with them!

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/tools/ring-adjusting-tools/ring-adjusting-wedding-ring-enlarging-reducing-tool-indian-made

caroleallen
23-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I think that's a really good price George. I've got this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Stretcher-Ring-Bender-Jewellery-Tool-/300455395671 and have never used the ring bender or the ring reducer bit of it.

mizgeorge
23-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I thought it looked a pretty good price too Carole! I do use the reducer occasionally, mostly for stacker rings if one's very slightly large, and I do use it almost like a flatting press from time to time after Dennis pointed out how easy it was to just remove the disc and pop a small bench block underneath instead.

I never thought the ring bender looked very useful - I love my bending pliers though.

sue cybersilver
23-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone. I will check out all the links. I was hoping it would help make sizing rings a lot easier, but it sounds like most people don't use theirs very often. I didn't want to buy a cheaper version and then find out that it wasn't really up to the job and have to buy an expensive version later. Thanks very much X

mizgeorge
23-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Sue - don't think it's not used - I use the stretching part every single day, on pretty much every non-adjustable ring I make, as well as for large bezels and a multitude of other things. It's just the reducing bit I tend not to use, as I prefer to make rings a size or so too small and stretch them to fit, rather than trying to make them smaller!

sue cybersilver
24-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Oh, great, that's what I wanted to know, and was hoping would be the benefit of getting one :) Is the combination one you have good then? I'm not sure whether the cousins one would be good quality, or whether it would do the job of the cookson one, just for less money. Thanks XX