PDA

View Full Version : Just Casting

Lucie
21-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Can anyone recommend "Just Casting" in Hatton Garden?
Looking for a new caster who also offers a complete polishing service in-house, preferably with access to a laser in case of emergency casting problems.
Turn around needs to be no longer than 2 weeks start to finish.

Merell sounded great until they said they charge two arms and a leg for the polishing :(
Niagra Falls send it away for polishing, so you're going to pay quite a lot extra for that.

Thanks everyone. x

Dennis
21-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Lucy, you can search for further services here under catagory-services, and if necessary employ a polisher direct: http://www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk/library/technical-library/technical-portal/

Alternatively, why not just get a tumbler, or a magnetic polisher? Dennis.

Lucie
21-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Hey Dennis, Thanks for the reply.

I have a tumbler, but unfortunately, it damages the fine detail and it won't make up for lousy casting.

Thank you for the link - It's great idea!
I've just sent off a pendant to Just Casting that needs to be with the customer for Christmas, so I'm going to cross every finger that it'll be successful and then I'll have a serious think.
I've just had to get a sterling silver pendant lasered as the cast was poor; took far too long (no time to re-make) and is due with the customer.
Time to make some changed me thinks!

Thanks again. x

Tabby66
21-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi Lucie,

I have used Nexgen in the past for anything I've had cast, they're turnaround depends on demand I think, so you would be best to check, I've not used it because I prefer to clean my castings up and because the casting is usually only a part of rather than a finished item, they have complete clean up and polishing in house, here's the link (ask for Phil or Julie)...http://www.nexgenprecisioncasting.co.uk/

caroleallen
22-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Yes, I use Nexgen too. I haven't used their finishing service though. They're very good but not very fast. From start to finish most things take at least a month.

ps_bond
22-11-2013, 07:36 AM
By way of contrast, Weston Beamor have said 2 weeks as a worst case from growing a CAD model through to delivering the casting - no finishing though.

ShinyLauren
22-11-2013, 09:44 AM
By way of contrast, Weston Beamor have said 2 weeks as a worst case from growing a CAD model through to delivering the casting - no finishing though.

Weston Beamor quoted me three weeks for a CAD model and cast - it took over four months!

ShinyLauren
22-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Lucie,

I've used West One in Hatton Garden for years and they're lovely - always super helpful and I've never had a problem with their castings. Don't know if they do a finishing service though.

Lucie
22-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks all. 90% of my work involves casting a finished product and because of the fine detail, the cast needs to be perfect - no pits or cracks.
A tiny hole in the wrong place & I end up having to re-make the whole thing.

I've got half a dozen bits to make before Christmas, but then about 70 older pieces that need a good polish. It's a case of just not enough time to do it myself!

A lot of casters in Birmingham seem to sub the work out & then tag on their own mark up, which is what makes it so expensive.

I've phoned Western Beamore Peter & they will only finish 18ct casts.
Tabby & Carole - Nexgen also don't offer a finishing service on one-off pieces :(

I'll see how Just Casting gets on; keep my fingers crossed and ring around a few people on the list Dennis suggested.

ps_bond
22-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Weston Beamor quoted me three weeks for a CAD model and cast - it took over four months!

Yikes. Thank you for the heads up - did they say why?

Dennis
22-11-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't send work out much, but when I did a wax carving project, I sent it to West One castings, like Lauren. It came back Immaculate and finishing was superfluous, so I just brushed it up with my soapy brass brush. Dennis.

Lucie
22-11-2013, 10:37 AM
That's beautiful Dennis. I'm going to work on my wax carving when I take my few weeks maternity leave :)

A rather nice fella from Just Casting phoned up this morning to say that my wax has been recieved and is being prepped for casting already.
It should be cast & fully polished to a mirror finish by the end of next week.
They also offered to get it hallmarked and engraved for me (they engrave in-house) - although I'm going to stick with my existing engraver as I love them ;)

So far; I'm very impressed by the service, but the truth with be in the casting!

medusa
22-11-2013, 06:17 PM
That's beautiful Dennis. I'm going to work on my wax carving when I take my few weeks maternity leave :)

A rather nice fella from Just Casting phoned up this morning to say that my wax has been recieved and is being prepped for casting already.
It should be cast & fully polished to a mirror finish by the end of next week.
They also offered to get it hallmarked and engraved for me (they engrave in-house) - although I'm going to stick with my existing engraver as I love them ;)

So far; I'm very impressed by the service, but the truth with be in the casting!

Sounds good!

I posted a wax off to Niagra Falls monday last week and got it back the following saturday. I nearly passed out! Nice small neat sprues as well.

ShinyLauren
27-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Yikes. Thank you for the heads up - did they say why?

They kept claiming my emails went into their spam filter. Then people were on holiday/getting married/off sick. I probably didn't chase them as much as I should have really, I got a bit fed up with the whole thing. West One have recommended me someone for CAD stuff if I decide to get anything done again in the future, so I don't think I'd use Weston Beamor again.

adam p
27-01-2014, 07:58 PM
My experiece of JustCastings is not good. They went on holiday for the whole summer and left me in the lurch. I had to find another caster at short notice at it cost me all of the profit on the job. However I have known Andy at West One almost since they started out and I cannot fault their quality and professionalism. Adam.

bilythepink
27-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Has anyone had any experience with http://www.jewellerycastingscotland.com/ I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I phoned them last week but found them really helpful. They are quite 'up front' with their pricing and their minimum charge is quite low so I am tempted to send them a few random bits. Would someone, more experienced, mind taking a look and posting what they think. Many thanks.