PDA

View Full Version : Disc cutter...Swanstrom or Durston please?

taylordebs
16-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Which one would you recommend please? Many thanks

Dennis
17-11-2013, 02:49 AM
To need either, you would expect to be making dozens of disks into the foreseeable future, or want to make washers.

I don't use them, because I have never needed more than four or five at a time and often make spares to keep. So I only have what at the time was the standard basic one: Cookson 999 772.
The main problem apart from limited sizes, which doesn't bother me, is that the cutting punches have to be knocked through with a rod and hammer after use. This slows you down no end. I think they should be tapered so that they drop through.

Smaller than standard sizes can be made by cutting slices from wire.

If you still need or just want one, I'm betting the members will recommend the Swanstrom. Be aware that many, even very expensive ones can be a complete pain to use, as I have found out elsewhere, so do take note of reviews. Dennis.

caroleallen
17-11-2013, 07:37 AM
I've never used the Durston but my Swanstrom gets used again and again. If you're making a living from making jewellery you need every labour saving device you can get.

ps_bond
17-11-2013, 07:47 AM
If you're making a living from making jewellery you need every labour saving device you can get.

...As opposed to gimmicks. The other thing I'd suggest is to learn the basics before worrying about the labour saving devices - so learn to saw accurate circles, it'll serve well in the long run (unless all you ever want to do is blank circles in the sizes provided).

I'm not a huge fan of gadgets (or techniques) that are one-trick ponies; an example of that would be the heart-shaped cutters I've seen - if you only need a few, saw them; if you really, really need loads of them in all the sizes it offers, fine; however, it may be that having a batch laser cut or a single blanking die would suit the task better in terms of time efficiency.

Having referenced ponies, I'll have to go up a few hands and say "horses for courses".

Dennis
17-11-2013, 10:11 AM
I still don't want to eat them and I'll bet HRH wouldn't either.

trialuser
17-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I have the Durston and have had a small issue with it. The smallest punch is unusable as it has a heavy pattern on the cutting face which it imparts to the work. I have been sent two replacement punches, one from cookson and one from durston, both (so all 3!) have the patterning. I gave up in the end, I don't really use the smallest size and if I need to I have a cheapo ebay cutter that does the job. Having said that it is a pleasure to use compared to the cheap one. I used it when I first got it and now I hardly ever use it, in fact if I need a disc I usually grab the cheapo one on the bench, it has a 'better' range of sizes as well. I would buy the swanstrom one if I were to make the purchase again but I don't think I'd bother unless as you're really needing loads of discs.

taylordebs
17-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone!

Dennis
17-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I have the Durston and have had a small issue with it. The smallest punch is unusable as it has a heavy pattern on the cutting face which it imparts to the work

As you have three, why not have a go at polishing the face of one, either on a sharpening plate, or on abrasive paper flat on the bench? As long as you keep it vertical it should remain sharp.

CJ57
17-11-2013, 01:14 PM
I have a Swanstrom and I love it. It cuts cleanly and the cutters fall through with no sticking. I've even used the smallest ones.

trialuser
17-11-2013, 01:44 PM
As you have three, why not have a go at polishing the face of one, either on a sharpening plate, or on abrasive paper flat on the bench? As long as you keep it vertical it should remain sharp.

Yes I probably will one day, although interestingly the punching face is not perpendicular to the shaft, it is at a very slight angle.
I suppose it gives the leading edge of the punch a bit of a bite into the material as it punches through.
cheers.

taylordebs
17-11-2013, 05:55 PM
I think I have talked myself into getting a swanstrom, they do a metric one for £30 more but sizes are virtually the same so what would be the advantage of getting the metric one please? thanks

Dennis
17-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Well, if you work in metric units, it is comforting to read off sizes you know and can visualise, but you can just as well just use your calipers and write the sizes in mm on the punches with a pen, or make a chart. Dennis.

mizgeorge
17-11-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't know whether you do this for a living, but if not, and if you want to save quite a bit of money, there's a pretty good Indian copy of the swanstrom available on ebay. Of course it's not as good as the real thing, but having seen it in action, it's not bad at all - the punches are properly beveled and with a bit of a clean up (it's packed in a lot of grease), it seems to do the job well enough - and at about a third of the price allowing for delivery and customs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-EXTRA-LARGE-CIRCULAR-DISC-CUTTER-TOOL-2MM-31MM-SET-/290514482632?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Weldin g_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item43a40335c8

taylordebs
17-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks George, it's only a hobby that one does look really good but do you think it would hold up well to last please? Cheers

mizgeorge
17-11-2013, 11:53 PM
A couple of friends of mine, as well as a student I've taught regularly have got them, and all seem very pleased - especially with the price! One opted to buy 'real' Swanstrom punches (which are not expensive at all from Rio) to use with it for the two sizes she uses the most, but it certainly seems to do the job a great deal better than a set without a clamp at a fraction of the cost. All seem to be lasting well so far too.