PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum discs, hearts and shapes for stamping

Beverley Pearson-Hancock
14-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Hello, struggling to find any blank aluminum shapes for stamping and making into pendents. Any ideas??

mizgeorge
14-11-2013, 01:27 PM
I cut my own (it's very quick once you have the hang of it). Otherwise etsy.

The only problem with using aluminium is that it's too light to hang nicely on its own, and really does need other elements to give some extra weight to a pendant.

Beverley Pearson-Hancock
14-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Thank you again. What metal is best? I see lots of copper but not sure I like this?

mizgeorge
14-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Aluminium is fine for a silver colour - but for pendants adding a charm or two just helps weigh things down. Stainless steel can look very effective - you need good quality stamps for this. I'm also not that keen on copper, and brass can look a bit too 'brassy' if that makes sense.

Of course, sterling silver is the nicest!!

caroleallen
14-11-2013, 05:58 PM
I agree with George (when don't I!). You do need something to weigh it down. I like to hang a bead from the bottom.

DaisyDaisy
15-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately you'll really struggle to find aluminium stamping blanks in the UK, especially those of a gauge which are acceptable. Quite a few websites do sell them but they're only 24 gauge, you can pretty much blow on them and they bend so they're really not suitable for pendants. There is a group on Facebook for metal stampers in the UK, it's full of help and advice.

As George has said earlier, stainless steel is a lovely metal which looks effective and because of the weight it seems better quality to customers than aluminium does. Some stamps will work well on stainless but they'll not last more than 12-18 months, if that. Eurotool and Metal Complex stamps work well on stainless but the bees knees of stamps are the Infinity brand from the States. ImpressArt are also rolling out a range of stainless rated stamps.

This is the stamping group on Facebook.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/handstampersUK/

Edited to add....I'm with George on the sterling silver comment but I appreciate it's expensive if you're only just starting out with stamping.