PDA

View Full Version : snap fittings. sort of...

medusa
10-11-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm looking to get some components cast and I want them to join up but kind of seamlessly. I suppose I'm thinking of the way a snake chain would be articulated or a bit like that Cartier panther bracelet made for Wallace Simpson…

The only way I can think of doing this is to create a kind of ball and socket between the components and then insert some parallel wires into the socket part as a form of snap fitting. any alternative suggestions would be really appreciated!

Dennis
10-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Your idea would work, Liz but would need a figure of eight type safety catch to stop it coming undone in use.

You might consider a hidden box joint instead. A box with a bar across the top of the opening and a leaf spring to catch in it. Alternatively, for round shapes you can also use a bayonet catch or a screw catch.

If you can describe the ends to be joined a bit more, or provide a sketch, one of us can be more specific. Joseph is pretty good with computer generated pix too.

Dennis.

Tabby66
10-11-2013, 10:48 PM
see if you can find out how a 'tennis bracelet' was made Liz, I think that will give you the continual sinuous movement you're after......I just can't describe it (I'll see what I can find available online too)!!

Wallace
10-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Sylvia Wicks (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-Making-Manual-design-jewellery/dp/0316904848)Jewellery Making Book has a great breakdown of the tennis linking, and other lovely instructions.

Dennis
11-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Sorry I was fixated on catches.

Here is a flexible bracelet , one of my first, scanned in from a photograph. The only addition after piercing, was a half jump ring, made from broad D-shaped wire and soldered at one end. Once hooked onto the bar of the next unit and closed it was tiff enough not to require more soldering to keep it closed. These units would be simple to replicate and cast.

Eventually it came undone and was lost, so I now add a safety chain which keeps it hanging if it undoes. It also helps with putting it on, because snaky things have a life of their own. Dennis.

medusa
11-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks all, that looks like a great book Wallace!

I'm doing this in response to a couple of enquiries I've had for commissions. I turned them down because I don't really have the time to work on anything complicated which needs to be done to a fixed timescale, but I would really like to work out how to do it for when I get my release in 13 months and two weeks (not that i'm counting or anything).

I'd need to get a wax made up of how I want it to look and then work backwards, but I intended the actual closures to use neodymium (SP?) magnets but wanted one point of articulation halfway in order to make it easier to get on/off. I have some latex and silicone moulding compounds and wax coming sometime this week so hopefully I'll get something done next weekend. I just thought that as it's unlikely that I'm re-inventing the wheel someone else might know of a better approach :)