PDA

View Full Version : Numb thumb from Foredom pendant motor

Bops
07-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I have been using the flex shaft of my foredom pendant motor for about six months now and started experiencing a numbness in my thumb about three months ago. It gets worse when I use the pendant motor for long periods of time. Has anyone else experienced this sensation in their fingers and is there a way to stop it? I can't use a different tool as it is the only tool that will do the necessary job.

ps_bond
07-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Might be worth getting checked out for hand arm vibration syndrome. Wouldn't have thought the amplitude from a Foredom handpiece would be that much of a risk, but it's a possibility. Talk to your GP...

Dennis
07-11-2013, 01:04 PM
My interpretation is that you are holding your hand piece as you would a pen, so applying severe forces to the joints of your thumb in order to control your burrs and gadgets.

If instead you hold the hand piece in your fist, as you would a potato peeler, your thumb will still be used as a guide by resting it on you work, or your bench peg, but the strain will be less. This is counter intuitive and takes practice at first.

In the mean time a covered ice pack on the sore joint of your thumb for about half an hour twice a day will help it to get better. If it does not recover in reasonable time, seek medical advice. Regards, Dennis.

caroleallen
07-11-2013, 06:55 PM
I always use my hand piece in my fist as I think it gives me more control. I was told off (well corrected) at Birmingham Jewellery School but I still do it.

Dennis
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Well I'd have a hissy fit if someone told off (corrected) me.

ps_bond
07-11-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm more accurate using a handpiece (micromotor or flexshaft) held in a pen grip, with one finger on the piece I'm working on and another braced on the bit shank (not running at high speeds, funnily enough!).
I use a fist grip for polishing, grinding, heavy carving and similar.

mizgeorge
07-11-2013, 08:52 PM
I use a fist grip for the pendant motor and pen grip for the micromotor. Not sure why, just what seems to work for me.

Kermit
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
This has been really interesting to read - I ended up with a really 'fizzy' feeling hand after using the flexi shaft on my dremel look a like last week. Needed to polish several bracelets today so tried the fist grip as opposed to my usual pen grip and although it took a little getting used to my hand felt fine afterwards.

Lucie
08-11-2013, 11:33 AM
I have to use a fist grip too as my Dremel makes my carpal tunnel play up a bit. Think I'd pop along to your GP just in case. :)

Bops
22-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks all. I'll try using a fist grip for this in the future but it's probably not a bad idea to mention it to my GP too. :-)