PDA

View Full Version : Pickle etc

Patstone
31-10-2013, 05:29 PM
I did a very stupid thing this afternoon. As usual I was in a rush, and measured out a teaspoon of what I thought was burnishing powder and it turned out to be pickle, as soon as I noticed, probably about 30 minutes later, I noticed that the solution was black and so was the stainless steel bits in the tumbler. Dont know what to do about it, I have washed the stainless steel bits and in desperation they are now in bleach. The silver that was inside is also black, but that will probably be ok when polished. Has anyone any idea how to get the black off the stainless steel shot. Desperate as I have a lot to do and not much time to do it in.

caroleallen
31-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Have you tried just putting the shot back in with soap Pat?

Patstone
31-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes, and it has got a bit paler now, I am going to have another go at it tomorrow. I just panicked when I saw it. I have a very pricey gold ring to put in it when it comes back from the Assay Office, but I may just hand polish it, safer and a better finish.

mizgeorge
31-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Not a good idea to bleach stainless steel as this will blacken it - as anyone who's accidentally left bleach in a sink finds out! As long as it's thoroughly rinsed out it should be fine. I'd run it through a couple of times with soap and then use as normal.

Patstone
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
It was a moment of panic, all ok now. I soaked the shot in a bowlful of fairy liquid and hot water and rubbed them with a cloth on the worktop then washed again. Then put the real burnishing powder in and kept it going for about 2 hours. All the black came off, realised afterwards that the black was the rubber from the barrel, anyway its all ok now thank goodness.
About two years ago, James made some wooden clamps and said they were good to hold things instead of a metal vice, well I made them but never got around to getting springs to tension them, I have now got some springs but not sure where they go in relation to the wood, so if you read this James can you send me the pic you sent originally so I can make it up with the springs, I have been using it without springs and it works well, but would be better with the springs.