PDA

View Full Version : Not Just A Pretty Face.

Dennis
29-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Here is an ancient ring, bought long before I began to make them myself. It is cast, except for the bezels and they have been milgrained at their edges. As it is not hallmarked I presume that it was made abroad.

The reason I am showing it, is that it does fulfill the designer’s maxim, that a piece of jewellery should be as beautiful at the back, as it is on the front. Dennis.

LydiaNiz
29-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Pretty indeed, and you have just reminded me of a similarly lovely-at-the-back ring. My grandmother was a voracious jewellery collector, she gave me a ring I must get a picture of to show on here as I'd love some opinion on what the stones may be. I'll get it out today!

Goldsmith
29-10-2013, 11:15 AM
I was always taught to make the backs of pieces look as good as the fronts.

James

Gemsetterchris
30-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Very rarely see backholes cut these days which is a shame but no suprise.

ShinyLauren
31-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I am often guilty of ignoring the rear view of pieces.

I am much the same when I do my hair - so long as the front looks okay, I can't see the back so don't care what it looks like!

Wallace
01-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I do think about the backs, but have never been taught to do it. Given I have mostly learned what I do without any tutoring, it might seem a little weird if I was to admit talking to myself about it. lol

sorting out the entire piece, doesn't always happen, but most of the time it is part of the design. This will include a nice mechanism for linking a chain. I have lately also included where the placing of the hallmark will go as shown in the reverse pic.

Dennis
01-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Yes it shows some TLC, and also a persuasive nature, because the assay office got it aligned beautifully too. Dennis.

Ada
01-11-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm finding this very interesting as I'm currently making a brooch which includes a backing plate with cut-outs as part of the design. I had not heard of this before it was suggested to me, but have recently seen a brooch with a cutout (not sure if this is the right term?) on the Antiques Roadshow and now Dennis and James have shown examples in their work. Thanks guys!

I am finding it a lot more involved than I thought, partly because my understanding of the process is developing as I go, and really enjoying the learning curve..... mostly!

Dennis
01-11-2013, 08:57 PM
When you are outside your comfort zone, you know you are really learning. Unfortunately it doesn't get better with time.

Tabby66
01-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Dennis is quite right, it doesn't!!

I have been taught that the back of a piece is as important as the front, I don't have any pictures to hand, but always ensure the rear of a piece is finished as well as the front, often incorporating piercing behind a setting, this is detailed in the design, (even if that is only in my head!!).

Surely backholes are important for allwing light through a stone Chris?? I'm not a huge fan of blind setting.......

Tabby xx

CJ57
01-11-2013, 11:57 PM
I was taught to put as good a finish on the back as the front too. I'm afraid I have been known to turn over others people's work and go will you look at the finish on that :( bad I know !

Tabby66
03-11-2013, 10:22 PM
SNAP!! (Me too Caroline).........=:-O

Oh dear, but I feel that it all adds to the finish and quality of a piece, the whole piece is important.