PDA

View Full Version : How is this Sterling Silver/Gold ring made please?

kiwikiwi
24-10-2013, 05:23 AM
Hi :) My name is Keith, new to the forum and quite new to jewellery making. I am wanting to make some thing simular to this ring. Can any one point me in the right direction as to the steps needed. Are the gold and silver soldered together before bending into a ring and how do you get the curved edges on the gold

Thanks for any help
Keith

http://www.etsy.com/listing/126427073/wedding-band-sterling-ring-w-14k-gold?ref=shop_home_active

ps_bond
24-10-2013, 05:32 AM
Hi Keith - here's how I'd do it:

Form & solder the outer ring, size it, apply granulation (I'd probably solder them rather than fuse them).
File the lines into the outer ring.
Make up the inner ring so it's a snug fit but fractionally wider than the outer, then use a doming punch to flare the edges so the inner is mechanically locked in place.

kiwikiwi
24-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Wow that's a quick response. Thanks ! From the photos on the link posted what would you say the thickness of the silver and gold plates are? Was thinking Silver 1.5mm Gold ? Is there a special formula I use for sizing the rings. I've made silver rings before. Got the measurement for the size and added 2 x the thickness.
But this seems a bit more complicated because you are going to add another ring inside

Hope that makes sense

Thanks
Keith

Wallace
24-10-2013, 07:02 AM
I posted a chart to help with size calculations in Lydia's thread "the perils of a customers' own measurements"

click here (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5031&page=3&highlight=Perils) for link

It should help a little.

Dennis
24-10-2013, 10:07 AM
No doubt we shall all have bits to add to this, so here's mine to fill the gaps:

Wallace has given you a size-to-circumference table, but I would only add one thickness of metal, as it is much easier to enlarge a ring slightly than to reduce it.

Broad rings are deceptive to size correctly, because they need to be much larger to feel right. As a rule of thumb, you use the centre of the band for your size.
For this reason I would make the gold first, check it on the person and then make the silver one. For the silver one I would aim a fraction too tight and expand it until it slips over the gold. Then remove it and finish it before dapping the gold edges as described by Peter.

Lastly very thick rings can be uncomfortable to wear, so I would go for a maximum of 1.5mm, say 0.8 for the silver and 0.5 for the gold. The tiny gap between the two will account for the rest. Dennis.

kiwikiwi
25-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks Wallace for the chart. Will be using that for sure. Do I add the thickness of metal to your chart measurement or has it been added. (Use you chart measurement as is) Thanks.

Thanks Dennis will make the inside ring first then finish as Peter says

Wallace
25-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks Wallace for the chart. Will be using that for sure. Do I add the thickness of metal to your chart measurement or has it been added. (Use you chart measurement as is) Thanks.

Thanks Dennis will make the inside ring first then finish as Peter says

Thank you Keith.

Indeed, use the top row for the length as the offset for the thickness is already calculated out for you. (Thank goodness for excel and the =sum and IF functions). Lol

The size down the side is what you need to work against. Size down, length across.... Oooh, bit like a crossword puzzle! Lol