PDA

View Full Version : Bezels Galore.

Dennis
21-10-2013, 09:38 AM
I first made this set in 1995, when I had not long started. Recently one of the studs went missing, so making a new pair gave me the opportunity to try out my stock of bezel strip rolled down from fine silver wire.

The turquoise cabs were very shallow and only called for 1.5mm high bezels. Even then the stones had to be raised a little on thin jump rings.

My first picture shows the wire being rolled in the centre of the mill to keep it straight. The rollers were closed down very slowly so that at least four passes were needed. It was goodbye to lengthy sawing and on with the job. Only force of habit caused me to file the top edges. Next time I might leave them rounded.

Examples
1.0mm round will roll down to 1.5 x 0.4mm
1.5mm round will roll down to 2.0 x 0.5mm
2.0x1.0 rectangular will roll down to 2.2 x 0.5mm. Dennis.

MeadMoon
21-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Brilliant idea for me since I cannot saw in a straight line and always end up with lots of filing to do to get the edge level. I love the designs of those, the pendant especially.

Truffle & Podge
21-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Beautiful! is there an ancient eygptian inspiration in there? x

Tabby66
21-10-2013, 09:49 PM
I was thinking the same Truffle, lovely set, especially like the design of the pendant too!!

MeadMoon
22-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Art Deco surely??

Wallace
22-10-2013, 09:56 AM
I would imagine they are both linked. Art Deco, following the tomb finding of the Egyptian Pharaohs, utilised their designs from that as inspiration. They looked at past and possible visions of the future, creative with Sci-Fi (think of the film, 'Metropolis')

A good example of this is Pyramidal shapes in buildings (Chrysler Building). Another is the fantastic bejewelled head dress worn by Gretta Garbo.

Artists such as Lalique, Mackintosh, the more artsy Glasgow Girls, and, Dunand were leaders in their crafts with very different styles. I understand the Deco era was about trying to make an open and available style that could be translated and timeless.

Talking of translated and timeless, that would be reflected in your lovely pieces Dennis.

Dennis
22-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Brilliant idea for me since I cannot saw in a straight line and always end up with lots of filing to do to get the edge level. I love the designs of those, the pendant especially.

Thank you all for your kind comments, but it does seem that we are alone Elaine, in looking for an alternative way to make bezel strip. Maybe its a dearth of rolling mills among beginners and a matter of pride for seasoned jewellers. Dennis.

Truffle & Podge
22-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I think never having tried to bezel set (or set at all) probably excludes me for now lol
x

ps_bond
22-10-2013, 08:23 PM
My usual for bezels is to saw them, although the other week I was rolling some recycled gold wire for that purpose. Still need to finish that.
This evening saw me roll printing a batch of leaf skeletons & cutting them out.

Truffle & Podge
22-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Wallace you are amazing!:<3:
X