PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

caroleallen
20-10-2013, 01:42 PM
I've had someone contact me asking me to set some small rocks and sea glass into wedding rings for her and her fiancé. I don't think it can be done but wondered if anyone had any bright ideas. This is her e-mail

The pieces I wanted for my ring are just three very tiny pieces of rock a out the size of grape pips. I had in mind just setting them embedded within the silver with maybe a small amount protruding.

Toby has a piece of blue glass that he would want shaped to fit on the under side of his ring so that its not visible except when you take the ring off - much like if you had an inscription. It would lie flush with the ring's surface. He could possibly shape the glass himself.

Does that sound like the sort of thing you could do?

Wallace
20-10-2013, 02:51 PM
you do get some exciting requests.

can you use PMC or carve something?

caroleallen
20-10-2013, 03:02 PM
I was wondering about PMC but I don't know what would happen to the stones and glass in the kiln.

Wallace
20-10-2013, 03:08 PM
the glass at least would sink and melt into a setting.

can you ask her for any extra stones so you could test fire one?

caroleallen
20-10-2013, 05:36 PM
I don't think I want to take it on really Wallace as it sounds like it could cause me too much stress. If anyone else wants a go, let me know and I'll give you her details.

Petal
21-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I know someone who works with a lot of seaglass Carole, I'll give her a buzz and see if she has any bright ideas if you like. She lives in North Somerset ...?

ps_bond
21-10-2013, 09:19 AM
The rocks aren't too much of an issue to set, but the sea glass would probably need diamond grinding gear. If the ring could be made in 2 parts, you could set the glass in a window from the outside of the ring, then form a collar over the outside?

I'll sketch something if that makes no sense...

Truffle & Podge
21-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Would it be too much of a cheat to carve out a recess for the glass and use epoxy to set it in? x

caroleallen
21-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys. Does anyone want to take it on?