PDA

View Full Version : Patina on gold?

Melanie
17-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Hello

I wondered if anyone could enlighten me as to how I can apply a dark colouring to gold...? I only really have experience (if you can call it that!) with silver and use platinol or LOS but have just started having the odd thing gold plated and wondered what I could use to get a similar effect in recessed areas (handprints and the like) Did my usual googling but could only find a very short post about using iodine to stain gold... would this be right?

Any guidance much appreciated as always :)

Ta!

Dennis
18-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi Melanie,

Gold will not patinate as such, although, low carat gold such as 9ct will take on a slightly darker look with l.o.s or Platinol. So the patination which you might see on antique pieces is basically due to accumulated dirt.

You could experiment with colouring the recesses with a black waterproof pen and then rubbing back the excess with a silver polishing cloth, or a cloth sparingly moistened with meths. However my guess is that the result will not be convincing.

Also interesting is to solder small gold decorations, or melt gold solder, onto silver. When you patinate this, you will get gold on black. My experiments below shows 18ct gold solder melted into shallow cups made in silver with a burr. Regards Dennis.

Melanie
20-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks Dennis - think I will just leave them gold then! Liking the gold on black thing - may well have to experiment :)

pearlescence
21-10-2013, 07:13 AM
I love gold on silver. Do it all the time. Must drive the Assay office nuts!

Patstone
21-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Yes and me, my limitations are mainly just either wire patterns on it or chunks of square, sometimes gold balls, and thats about it.

I love gold on silver. Do it all the time. Must drive the Assay office nuts!

Truffle & Podge
21-10-2013, 03:27 PM
So wish i could afford gold, rose on silver especially yum! just doing copper and silver at mo, so pretty when highly shined x